First blood donation yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First blood donation yesterday

...and everything went well. I have two more scheduled before my Sept. 18 surgery. I'm curious about two things: does everyone usually take iron pills? The tech yesterday said he would if it were him. My hgb level was 43. Also, does anyone get a temporary handicap card for their car during their recovery? My husband wondered.

Thanks!

Steff

steff---Hi! I had surgery about 31/2 weeks ago & did 3 pints(3 weeks) of blood donations before hand.... I did do the iron pills 3 times a day to start & felt real strong throughout the mth. My surgeon's nurse told me I could cut down to 2 times a day on them if I felt I was too pumped seeing that I was eating a good diet(meats,nuts, fruits & veggies)...as far as a handicap sticker: I hav'nt even given that a thought till I read your post because I am not planning to drive for a while-no interest/too early for me . sure I will be on pain killers/narcotics for several weeks more.....I have been very content to be home & feel pretty good as the days go on but really no interest in seeing the outside world ...except for my patio in the back! take care & keep in touch! Lynne

surgery was this August 1st--ant/post & rib(s) removal
    thorocolumbar curve-95% reduced to 42%/ Dr, Boachie/Dr. Kim-- at Hospital Special Surgery
    http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Steff,
      I can't say much about the iron pills. I just take a regular multi-vitamin as it is and only donated one pint of blood for my surgery.

I did get a temporary handicap tag (good for 8 months only) for trips to the grocery store and mall where I would get in some walking while recovering. I had surgery in the middle of Winter in Maine and after a few weeks of being stuck in the house, there were times when I just wanted out! For 8 weeks, I did not drive myself and still needed some help getting in and out of the car, so I found it more helpful to park in the handicap spots and take my time getting in and out of the car there rather than at the curb. Also, I work in a building with approx. 1,000 ppl so the walk from the parking lot was extensive. It helped when I returned to work to be able to use the medical parking spots close to the building. Once I began to feel better (around month 6) I ditched the tag!

Comment

Steff -

I donated two units of blood for my surgery. I began taking iron tablets one week before surgery and continued to take them until the day before surgery. They are not mandatory, but it is a good idea to keep your iron levels up when facing a surgey of this magnitude. I do not drive, but Dr. Lauerman is one who really encourages walking as much as possible after surgery (since it promotes bone growth). He never offered to give me a disabled parking permit.

All the best,
        Brandi
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I took iron pills and started one to two weeks before my donations and continued for a while after this last time(about a month), b/c I'm easily anemic and it's recommened for patients here, along with a good diet and vitamin supplements, like vit.C that helps with the assimilation of iron and repairs muscle tissues(also helps the scar heal well).

Never heard of the parking tag, but that's a good idea, even if you're being driven around, or you can be left not far from the door.
          Last edited by sweetness514; 08-24-2006, 05:07 PM.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Steff,

I can't help you on the iron pills because my husband and kids donated their blood for me.

On the handicap sign, I did have one for a year. It was good for 6 months and then we had it renewed for another 6 months. When I first came out of the hospital I used a wheel chair when we went out. My daughter's graduation from Law School was only 3 weeks after I got home. I wouldn't have missed that for anything!!!! After that I had a walker for about 4 months, then I used a cane for the rest of the year.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I have been taking iron, 3 pills a day, for about a month. I give my last pint tommorow. When I went for pre op the nurse recommended taking them up until the day before surgery. Good luck on your surgery!
              surgery 9/06
              Rothman institute

Comment

I also donated blood yesterday....

Hi everyone,

I also doanted blood yesterday and it was my first time. I had near-fainting episodes three times and then was taken back to the hospital on an ambulance. My blood pressure was really low: 83/60 and they just wanted me to stay in the hospital until i felt better. My mother and my brother were with me and so i jsut figured all i needed was some rest and asked to be released. THe doc said i should rest and drink plenty of fluids for the next 24 hours but i did not listen and went in to work today. I still feel weak and dizzy and will go home soon. I need to donate one more unit of blood next week and I really hope I can do it.

As far as the iron pills, I take iron three times a day for about two weeks now and will have to continue until the surgery Sep 19. I was surprised that when they told me yesterday that my hemoglobin was at the border line. I expected it to be fine as I am taking those iron pills three times a day.

Mariya
                30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
                8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
                3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
                4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
                2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Thanks for responding, everyone

I am planning on just multi-vitamins and raisins until my 2nd donation appt next week and will see if my level is still as healthy.

Mariya, I am sorry to hear you had such a hard time. I donate blood regularly so I knew what to expect and just drove myself home right after scarfing down some snacks and water. I hope your next donation goes better for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X