Scheuermans Kyphosis Surgery A Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheuermans Kyphosis Surgery A Success

My son had his surgery on August 14th. He was released from the hospital on the 20th. He stayed 7 days due to being very sensitive to narcodics. On the 5th day he was wanting to shower and go home. He was so determined he was walking and trying to eat some. On the 6th day he was able to do a flight of stairs. On the 7th days he was released and able to handle the 4 hour drive home. We had to stop 3 times to reposition and take a bathroom break. Cody'd doctor and team were very personable and answered all the dumb questions I had. He is standing tall. He went in being shorter than me and is now taller. Today is the 9th day and he is making great progress. Sleeping is still a problem. He wakes up several times a night wanting help to reposition.

Excellent news! Continued best wishes for a smooth recovery with no complications. One day at a time...
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Kell, So glad to hear your son is doing so well. Our daughter had the same surgery at Shriners Hospital-Portland on 3/15/05. The hardest part was the first week or two at home, then the healing really began. Your son sounds strong willed like my daughter, and won't let much slow him down. Our daughter grew 2 1/2 inches from her surgery. We had a 5 hour drive home and remember the trip well. We made sure we had plenty of water, pain meds and made stops to get her out to potty and readjust her. I also think it helped to keep her from getting stiff and sore from sitting to long.

The nights can be pretty tough, as they want to do on their own and just can't yet. But, once he figures out how to reposition himself and get in and out of bed, which won't take long, he'll improve even quicker.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself in an argument or two with him because he wants to do and you won't let him, because of doctors orders. I, at one point, finally threw my hands up and decided that my daughter was old enough to know better and she should know her limits.

If you son is returning to school this fall, get into the school and make arrangements for an extra set of books to keep at home, get early/late release from each class so he doesn't have to fight the crowds in the halls, and just have a general discussion with his teachers about his condition and that he may need to get up and stand during class, 45-60 minutes is a long time to sit in a hard chair. We found the teachers more than cooperative. They even offered their desks to our daughter because the height was better for her. Also, send him to school with a small pillow to keep in his locker, just in case he needs it for his back.

The hardest part of this surgery is keeping these teenagers slowed down long enough to heal. I know what my daughter did when I was around, who knows what she did when she was with her friends.

Congratulations on surviving surgery. You are now officially on the other side, which can be challenging, but rewarding.

Love & Prayers,
      Nikki

Comment

Working...
      X