Just diagnosed at 29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just diagnosed at 29

Last friday I was diagnosed with "mild scoliosis" as part of a physical for work. A chest xray revealed a lateral curve in my lumbar area. I've had chronic back pain since about age 23 and never thought much about it. It comes and goes and I've learned to deal with it.

Now I have the reason why and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the information i've read today on types of treatment. I'm an otherwise healthy 29 year old male and I think I need to begin doing some sort of targeted excerises or stretching. I would seek out a physical therapist but I'm a self supported student without insurance so that's pretty much out for the time being.

From reading this message board I do not have the curve severity as many of you but I do have frequent pain and now that I know what the problem is I would like to start addressing it. I welcome any comments or suggestions.

regards

Ryan

If your scoliosis mild then don't worry about it. There won't be any restrictions on your activities or any special exercises you need to be doing. Forgot about wasting money on a therapist. It's also very possible that your backpain is unrelated to your scoliosis.

Comment

Hi...

I agree with magicman. More than 80% of adults have at least occasional back pain.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Just wanted to say that you are not alone. I too was diagnosed with scoliosis at 29. Don't know how it went undetected that long but you know what they say, better late than never.

Brandi
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Another 29-year-old here with a similar situation - mine is congenital and thoracic, but mild like yours.
          I'm in Australia, where we don't have the same insurance cover problems, so it's been pretty easy for me to get physical therapy help, but I agree with the others - you can do so much without even needing to see a therapist, especially if it's mild.
          I was put on to swimming at the beginning of the year, and have found that it has helped immensely. If you want to do anything without consulting a therapist, I'd probably do this. It's non-weight bearing exercise, so it's pretty hard to throw things out just by swimming laps.

Comment

Might want to watch the progression

I would recommend that you have it checked by an orthopedic dr. who treats adult scoliosis. They could get a baseline x-ray, then go back in 5 years to get another one and check to see if the curve is progressing. If it is not, and they don't recommend treatment, you probably won't progress.

Deb

Comment

Numbness, Tingling, Etc.

I too, was diagnosed at 29. This after to going to an internist and a neurologist to find out what was causing the numbness and tingling in my arms, legs, and face. I also occasionally leak urine. One Xray from the chiropractor and it showed i was in phase 2 of spinal degeneration. My curve is around 35 degrees and is in my middle and upper back. My shoulder blade feels like it is out of place most of the time. My circulation is bad, I'm Anemic, My Pulse is usually 100 or more, I get dizzy, and now the tingling actually is in my back. It is funny how it started in other parts and then moved to the source. The neurologist had tested me for multiple sclerosis. He did nerve conductivity test, and an mri on my brain. He didn't find any consistencies with MS.

Comment

Bone Scan

Did your doctor do bone scan (DEXA) to check bone density

Comment

Originally posted by impunity75
                  I too, was diagnosed at 29. This after to going to an internist and a neurologist to find out what was causing the numbness and tingling in my arms, legs, and face.
                  My circulation is bad, I'm Anemic, My Pulse is usually 100 or more, I get dizzy, and now the tingling actually is in my back.
                  If I don't check myself regularly and take iron when I have my periods I have anemia too, but that's b/c my periods are heavy and too frequent. My pulse is always between 90 and 120- and insomnia is the cause. I have tingling in my face and arms, and it's mostly my neck that is the cause(I have pinched nerves), and I also notice that when I'm tired it causes it more. I had all these symptoms before and now after surgery, and I'm not convince that scoliosis is the reason for all of them, even if I still have a 20ish curve.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                  X