PDA

View Full Version : Just diagnosed at 29

xzjn9p
08-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Last friday I was diagnosed with "mild scoliosis" as part of a physical for work. A chest xray revealed a lateral curve in my lumbar area. I've had chronic back pain since about age 23 and never thought much about it. It comes and goes and I've learned to deal with it.

Now I have the reason why and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the information i've read today on types of treatment. I'm an otherwise healthy 29 year old male and I think I need to begin doing some sort of targeted excerises or stretching. I would seek out a physical therapist but I'm a self supported student without insurance so that's pretty much out for the time being.

From reading this message board I do not have the curve severity as many of you but I do have frequent pain and now that I know what the problem is I would like to start addressing it. I welcome any comments or suggestions.

regards

Ryan

magicman
08-21-2006, 03:18 PM
If your scoliosis mild then don't worry about it. There won't be any restrictions on your activities or any special exercises you need to be doing. Forgot about wasting money on a therapist. It's also very possible that your backpain is unrelated to your scoliosis.

LindaRacine
08-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi...

I agree with magicman. More than 80% of adults have at least occasional back pain.

Regards,
Linda

bbest
08-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Just wanted to say that you are not alone. I too was diagnosed with scoliosis at 29. Don't know how it went undetected that long but you know what they say, better late than never. :)

Brandi

javaboy
08-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Another 29-year-old here with a similar situation - mine is congenital and thoracic, but mild like yours.
I'm in Australia, where we don't have the same insurance cover problems, so it's been pretty easy for me to get physical therapy help, but I agree with the others - you can do so much without even needing to see a therapist, especially if it's mild.
I was put on to swimming at the beginning of the year, and have found that it has helped immensely. If you want to do anything without consulting a therapist, I'd probably do this. It's non-weight bearing exercise, so it's pretty hard to throw things out just by swimming laps.

Cakedec
08-22-2006, 07:37 AM
I would recommend that you have it checked by an orthopedic dr. who treats adult scoliosis. They could get a baseline x-ray, then go back in 5 years to get another one and check to see if the curve is progressing. If it is not, and they don't recommend treatment, you probably won't progress.

Deb

impunity75
08-24-2006, 07:32 PM
I too, was diagnosed at 29. This after to going to an internist and a neurologist to find out what was causing the numbness and tingling in my arms, legs, and face. I also occasionally leak urine. One Xray from the chiropractor and it showed i was in phase 2 of spinal degeneration. My curve is around 35 degrees and is in my middle and upper back. My shoulder blade feels like it is out of place most of the time. My circulation is bad, I'm Anemic, My Pulse is usually 100 or more, I get dizzy, and now the tingling actually is in my back. It is funny how it started in other parts and then moved to the source. The neurologist had tested me for multiple sclerosis. He did nerve conductivity test, and an mri on my brain. He didn't find any consistencies with MS.

Marcilo
08-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Did your doctor do bone scan (DEXA) to check bone density

sweetness514
08-25-2006, 05:17 PM
I too, was diagnosed at 29. This after to going to an internist and a neurologist to find out what was causing the numbness and tingling in my arms, legs, and face.
My circulation is bad, I'm Anemic, My Pulse is usually 100 or more, I get dizzy, and now the tingling actually is in my back.

If I don't check myself regularly and take iron when I have my periods I have anemia too, but that's b/c my periods are heavy and too frequent. My pulse is always between 90 and 120- and insomnia is the cause. I have tingling in my face and arms, and it's mostly my neck that is the cause(I have pinched nerves), and I also notice that when I'm tired it causes it more. I had all these symptoms before and now after surgery, and I'm not convince that scoliosis is the reason for all of them, even if I still have a 20ish curve.