Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I survived my myelogram and other tests!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I survived my myelogram and other tests!

My husband and I just got back in town after 3 days of testing for Dr. Shelokov.

We first went to an internist that he wanted us to see. I had previoustly sent all my records from every doctor who has treated me and also filled out numerous pages of questions from him. We were very impressed with his knowledge and concern about various issues effecting my health. He was definitely very thorough and caring.

2nd stop was to visit with Dr. Shelokov just to refresh his memory of who I am since it has been 6 months since we saw him the one and only time. He was wonderful and allowed me to ask questions and address concerns. He also gave me a prescription for pain for those days that I can barely get around. In the past I have refused pain medication, but now welcome it!

3rd stop was pulmonery test....kind of fun but wore my vocal cords out!

4th stop was to have a full stress test with monitoring of my heart. I didn't find it very strenuous at all. The young guy looked at me and my age and was just sure I wouldn't do so well....but I showed him!

5th....next morning....myelogram! I was very nervous about the test but it really wasn't all that bad. They gave me a valium beforehand to help me stay calm. The only pain I felt was when I was hooked up to an I.V. in case I had a reaction....the I.V. was worse than the spinal because they didn't give me a numbing shot first. The myelogram itself just wasn't very painful at all. They gave me a couple numbing shots in my back and I didn't even feel the spinal tap. I was told to go back to the hotel, rest with my head slightly elevated for 24 hours. I followed those instructions and never had even a hint of a headache.

Yea! I survived the tests without a hitch.
    Last edited by Marcia; 08-20-2006, 04:07 PM.

Why did you need a myelogram? I didn't think that a myelogram was a typical test before surgery.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Marcia
      My husband and I just got back in town after 3 days of testing for Dr. Shelokov.

We first went to an internist that he wanted us to see. I had previoustly sent all my records from every doctor who has treated me and also filled out numerous pages of questions from him. We were very impressed with his knowledge and concern about various issues effecting my health. He was definitely very thorough and caring.

2nd stop was to visit with Dr. Shelokov just to refresh his memory of who I am since it has been 6 months since we saw him the one and only time. He was wonderful and allowed me to ask questions and address concerns. He also gave me a prescription for pain for those days that I can barely get around. In the past I have refused pain medication, but now welcome it!

3rd stop was pulmonery test....kind of fun but wore my vocal cords out!

4th stop was to have a full stress test with monitoring of my heart. I didn't find it very strenuous at all. The young guy looked at me and my age and was just sure I wouldn't do so well....but I showed him!

5th....next morning....myelogram! I was very nervous about the test but it really wasn't all that bad. They gave me a valium beforehand to help me stay calm. The only pain I felt was when I was hooked up to an I.V. in case I had a reaction....the I.V. was worse than the spinal because they didn't give me a numbing shot first. The myelogram itself just wasn't very painful at all. They gave me a couple numbing shots in my back and I didn't even feel the spinal tap. I was told to go back to the hotel, rest with my head slightly elevated for 24 hours. I followed those instructions and never had even a hint of a headache.

Yea! I survived the tests without a hitch.

Why did you need a myelogram? I didn't think that a myelogram was a typical test before surgery.

Sue

Comment

My surgery will be very extensive....from T2 to S1. The myelogram allows the doctor to see all the nerves and any unusual hitches, bends, etc in the spinal cord. At my age of 57, my doctor is putting me through a complete battery of test to be absolutely sure I am able to go through it and to also give him all the information he might need to know about my body and it's abnormalties.....at least that is my understanding (put in my words! LOL)

There are quite a few doctors who are requiring it and many responded and gave me reassurances when I was afraid of the myelogram.

Comment

Glad to hear it all went well, Marcia.
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Marcia, so glad everything went OK. I was hoping you wouldn't have a bad experience with the myelogram. Good for you.

Comment

Thank you for your sweet comments! It is good to have the tests behind me now.

Comment

Working...
              X