Has anyone heard from Eric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone heard from Eric?

I was wondering if anyone has heard from Eric? The last I heard he was haviing pain med probs..we both had surgery around the same time. Just curious and hope all is well!

Thanks!
    Angela
    29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

I heard from Eric!

Hi Angela,

I just sent Eric an E-mail last week titled "Are you alive?" I got a response from him on 8/17. (He and I were in touch before his surgery.) His first 5 weeks were tough. He is going to his 2 month post-op check up on Tuesday. He has been very depressed. He had a 16 hour surgery and was fused from T10 to S1,discotomys, rods and the kitchen sink. (Direct quote from him.) He said he stayed off this site due to the depression. He has been working his butt off on aqua P.T. He feels his improvement has been slow, but is feeling better. I hope he doesn't mind me passing on the news. I know the feeling of wondering how someone is doing and you are left to wonder.
    I hope you are doing well, Angela. Best wishes. Suzy

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've often wondered as I have not seen him on here since he had posted about the pain meds not working for him. If you get a chance could you please let him know I am thinking of him and wish him only the best. I am doing very good now, off the pain meds except for Lortab which I only take once a day now (but I took that before surgery). I had the depression too- if you could please ask him to pm me- I would like to keep in touch with him. Thanks alot!!
      Angela
      29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

To anyone out there having a rough time of recovery,

Speaking from personal experience, don't be afraid to post here because everyone else seems too be doing so well and you feel like you would be bringing it down. We all heal differently!!! It's nothing to be ashamed of.

I wish I would have expressed what I was going through at the time. I think it would have helped me deal with it better mentally. Not everyone has an easy recovery, and you should never have to feel like you are dealing with it alone.

I personally take pleasure in seeing how well others are doing in their recovery, but it's not true for all of us. This is a forum of support for better or worse. Take advantage of this wonderful gift.

Shari

Comment

Shari, I couldn't have said it better myself. Sometimes in fear of being labeled as a "pessimist" I know for a fact that some don't post directly on the board and IMO that's what the board is for-to help each other especially in the bad times. I know that a lot believe that only people who are not doing well or have post op problems post here, and the ones who are doing well are busy with life, well this is proof that it's not always true. I'd rather read about reality and once in a while it doesn't hurt, on the contrary it makes us stronger.

I'm sorry if Eric is not doing as well as he thought he would, and on another note maybe he just doesn't feel like posting as well, but at any rate I hope he feels better soon and sees the light at the end of the tunnel
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

This is very trying at times.....

I can now say all is not smooth sailing... I had a bad teary outburst today because of a wisecrack remark from my 10 yr old....I got very fustrated when I realized all the stuff I could'nt do. I saw the big laundry pile. Then I saw the dishes that needed to be put in the dishwasher. Then I got mad when I dropped my bendy straws all over the bedroom floor. I tried to pick them up with my grabber but got totally fustrated & jumped into bed in tears.....I know a lot has to do with the pain meds & all. I'm alrdy sick of being in my bedroom all the time... I still don't feel like reading much & tv seems to be all I do plus sleep.... I always seem so exhausted after one trip down the stairs to get a snack in the kitchen. My husband /boys are really doing a great job but every so often I see my husband get a bit short with me & I know I'm asking/complaining too much......there is just so much at this stage that you see you can't do plus feeling like sh--! My ribs numb up every night & I feel like the whole left side of my body can't move! I know I'll be better tomorrow & I must have patience but it is extremely hard..........thk god for good friends/family....................Ly

Comment

I totally agree!! I have really good days now- and then- wham! out of the blue really bad days! The bad days could be pain, depression or heck even both! I am a mother of a two year old who is so very very confused why mommy wont pick her up or rock her to bed anymore, and now- only wants her father. My husband is very stressed out- as he has turned into her main caretaker as I still cannot do alot with her. I really wish my body would have held out a couple of more years, but this is now my reality. Then came the final blow this week- my piece of crap employer has decided he only wants me back part time (for ever) and well- I lost my job as I cannot afford to work only part-time. He knew this, didnt want to pay my salary, benefits, etc. and saw this as his way out! Now, I am unemployable in my field (Insurance Underwriting) nonetheless, and had to file for Social Security Disability- yippie! My surgeon wanted me to do this anyhow, but hell, I WANTED the option. Today IS a bad day- its raining like cats and dogs and my pain is worse when it rains- anyone else? While this day sucks- tommarow WILL be better- no rain in the forecast and I have a nice meeting with an employment Attorney to sue the piece of crap I used to work for! It just sucks- especially cause I just did not need this added stress, especially right now!!
              Angela

Comment

Angela,

It has to be heart wrenching for you to not be able to pick up your daughter, and to see Dad taking your place. This surgery is so physically, mentally and emotionally challenging in so very many ways!!! My heart and hugs go out to you.

Take it from one of the older broads that a rough recovery, there is "light at the end of the tunnel". I know it hard to do right now, but think about how you have given your near future with your family a much healthier you.

Shari

Comment

Hi Lynne,

We are about the same age and I still think you're doing great!!! I was not blessed with children, but I do know the feelings that you are talking about. Knowing that my husband was not a very patient person and has a short fuse, I tried to prepare him for what life would be like right after surgery. I didn't do a very good job of that.

But then who could??? We really have no way of knowing how much pain there will be, how depressed we will get from one day to the next and how we will emotionally react to even a pile of laundry. It's really hard when you're used to being independent and strong, and doing for everyone else, then all of of sudden you can't pick up a straw. In my case I couldn't wipe my own rear end. Which out of all the things I couldn't do was the most humiliating.

I shed many tears over people not understanding what I was feeling, and as I look back now, how could they. Only someone that has gone through it could understand what I was feeling, and that's only to a certain degree, because we all have different experiences.

I try to not ramble on in this forum, but you have brought back a flood of emotions that are still so clear in my mind. Do we add quilt and stress to our situation because we "elected" (and I use that word loosely) to have this done? And then we see how it has affected the people in our lives?

I know for myself, I had a real problem with being a bourdon on the people around me. I remember one day I cried for 13 hours straight, not even really knowing what I was crying about, I just couldn't stop.

I hope in some small way this has helped you. But in all honesty I still think you're doing great!!!

Shari

Comment

what a night..........

anyhow gals, today went much better.....no tears! the horrid rains stopped & the skies at least cleared a bit today... I was up most of last night because of back aches & leg aches.... I ended up walking around my bedroom putting some laundry away. My husband ran upstairs at 3 am to check on me.(he's temporarily on the couch,poor guy!..he was so worried. I told him I was fine & just needed to walk a bit since I was achey lying on my back... feels like a dull toothache all night. Once I took the pain meds again I finally fell asleep around 4am.....what a night. Do believe it had to do with change in temp./rainy weather.....
                    angela: I feel the same way, you have a few good/great days & then out of nowhere you ache like hell......
                    oh well, gotta go to physical therapy(first one as an out patient) at 6pm....better days ahead, I hope................Lynne
                    http://lynnebackattack.blogspot,com

Comment

Working...
                    X