2+ year check-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2+ year check-up

Hi everyone. Just this past week, I went back to my surgeon for my latest check-up since having my baby girl. They gave me x-rays for the first time in a year and a half. The last two visits I could not have x-rays since I was pregnant. Luckily all the hardware is still in place and all is the same since my surgery two years ago. I was so relieved because I was so worried about being pregnant and giving birth, but all is fine. I showed my surgeon a photo of me towards the end of my pregnancy (and I was wearing a bikini). He was amazed at how well I carried and that my back was so strong that he scanned the photo into the computer...maybe I'll end up in the next issue of The Hospital for Special Surgery newsletter!

So for those of you out there who had the surgery and want to have children, there's hope for a successful pregnancy!
    Heather
    Surgery date: April 20, 2004
    Anterior/posterior surgery
    Fused T-11 to L-5
    Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
    Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
    Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
    Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

I love positive comments like this. Congratulations on a successful pregnancy and prior surgery. I just noticed your correction, and it makes me feel more confident about having surgery at a later time. You always hear that correction may not be as good the longer you wait, but in your case 50 degrees correction! That's wonderful. I'm not sure how typical that is, but I'm sure you're happy with it.

Congrats

Jamie

Comment

Heather-

I was happy reading your post because it makes me feel better about the durability of my own hardware. Congratulations on being 2 years post-op.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm so happy for you and relieved for the rest of us who will eventually want to become pregnant!!
        Congratulations
        Jenn
        37 y/o female
        60 degree lumbar
        45 degree thoracic
        1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
        T 5 to S 1
        NYC

Comment

Heather,

That is AMAZING news! Congrats on the baby! You are an inspiration to those of us who just recently had surgery!
          Angela
          29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Congratulations! That is so wonderful - thank you for sharing your good news. It gives those of us hoping to get pregnant after surgery hope!

Enjoy your new family! What a blessing!
            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you for sharing that great news Heather! My hubby and I are trying to start a family and although my surgeon cleared me for pregnancy at one year post-op (Feb '06), there's still this part of me that is a little scared of how it will affect my fusion. I'm so happy for you on both a successful recovery and pregnancy!

Comment

Hi Heather,

Congratulations for your baby girl, your good report and for giving many here some "newborn" comfort.

Shari

Comment

Working...
                X