Bracing after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracing after surgery

Hey, I got back from the doctor today and he told me that I would not need a brace after my surgery. I thought most people did need bracing after surgery. Is it normal for people to not have to brace afterwords?

i think everyones case is different, i know people who didnt have to have one and me they told me i will .so i guess it depends on the type of back surgery you are having .
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

I actually think the doctor makes the decision of whether or no to brace you when he sees you post op and sees how you are doing. I was told before my surgery that I would have a brace. But when I left, it was without a brace. The doctor told me, when I was leaving the hospital, that I was doing really well with walking and getting up the right way that I wouldn't need one unless I felt like I needed one.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

My Dr. said no brace because I was wearing it inside. I think it depends on the Dr. Some who have had a similar fusion to mine (T10 to L4) have worn one and some haven't. It sure makes you concentrate on your posture and strengthen your core muscles without one!

Comment

My doctor told me I might need one before surgery. As it turns out, I did not need one after all.
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have the hard-shell brace

Dear Rot Bryna,

I had a long fusion for scoliosis (T-5 to L-5) and I have the hard plastic shell brace that hooks together on the sides with velcro straps. It goes from my hips clear up almost to my chin in front and neck in back.

One day after my surgery they casted me for it and brought it to me the 2nd day. I actually liked having it because of the support it gave to my back, especially in between my shoulders where most of my pain was. They said I didn't have to wear it to bed, but I did at the hospital because it stopped the pain in between my shoulders when I rolled over onto my side or got up.

Now that I am home, I just wear it when I am up out of bed. It goes over top of my clothes and yes, it is hot. It's August and I really sweat under it and have to change my clothes sometimes, even though they poked some holes in it for venting. But it is good support for my back; I really notice my muscles straining when I walk around without it on. Probably I will have to gradually wean myself from it to strengthen the muscles. But I am only 3 1/2 weeks post op and not worried about that. I think they said I would wear it for 3 months.

One big negative is that I found you can't pull your clothes up and down under it when you go to the bathroom. So I just take it off before I go now and figure it just gives me a brace break, also, then put it back on.

With this type of brace, it makes it very obvious to other people that you are recovering from some type of back condition so it makes them more than happy to help you out. I am an old married woman (47) and not worried about looking foxy anymore, so not self-conscious about it like a young girl might be.

Deb

Comment

jewett brace..I thk???

cakedec----missed ya & hope you are resting & recovering good!!!! said many prayers...! I am home as of last night & very happy to be here.... I have, I believe the Jewett brace(Ithk, may be wrong, thought the P.T. guy told me that) it is pretty open, much easier than the milwaukee as a kid...is kind of getting loose because they say my internal fluids are settling down after rib removals.....Ithk they took 3....that hurt the most but did'nt last....Lynne email when you can lelc2002@yahoo.com

Comment

I will have a brace after my surgery also only to wear when I am up. Mine will go from the top of my boobs to about my hips.
                surgery 9/06
                Rothman institute

Comment

I have a somewhat pretty long fusion and didn't wear any braces for my surgeries, just a soft one on and off for the first year to help stand and sit.

It depends on what the doctor's approach is, and not wearing one does help the muscles get stronger faster.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi...

I've discovered that it varies by surgeon. Most of the doctors here in Northern California put almost 100% of their adult scoliosis patients in braces. I know of other doctors who almost never put any of their patients in a postop brace.

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hey, Deb. I had the same type of brace. Like you, I am old enough (49) not to care how I look. At work, they called me "the Turtle woman". Whenever anyone pointed me out, they would said "It's the woman who looks like a turtle". I sort of miss that! I'm still known as the "velcro lady" though.

Personally, I was glad to have the brace. I felt more secure.

Comment

Hi Deb,

I wore the turtle shell from June to September and it is hot as hell, holes and all. I guess we'll never know which is the best, brace or no brace, we just do what our Dr.'s say.

I was told to wear it when I was in an upright position, and that I could take it off for bed or showering. The first 2 nights I was at home I didn't wear it and didn't sleep a wink for fear of moving the wrong way or whatever was going through my overly medicated head, after that I wore it to sleep in.

If anyone asks me if I'm a "Turtle", I say, "you bet your sweet ass I am".

Shari

Comment

I was put in a brace after surgery also. I had to wear mine 23 hours a day. I had all kinds of problems with mine. When they fitted me with it in the hospital it took some getting use to. I was doing pretty good with it, then I kept loosing more weight until it was way to big for me. Then it was a nightmare. Finally my Dr. had me fitted for a new one and it was much better.
                          I wore mine for 6 months. I sure felt safer with it on then when I had it off.
                          I also believe it is a difference in Drs. as to brace the patience or not.
                          Mattie

Comment

Cakedec....I'm a 46 year old divorced woman....lol. My surgery was probably around the same time as your surgery. I tell ya...the brace sure is hot isn't it? I am constantly sweating underneath...and often have to change t-shirts that I wear under it also. I was told I would wear the brace for 3 months. Ugh. Granted, it definitely makes you feel secure wearing it...but it's so hot...and wearing clothes over top of the brace makes me look huge...even though I'm relatively thin. So when I return to work...I'm sure I'll just look lovely. Also, I don't know if it is affecting my body temperature or what...because for the last 6 nights I've had night sweats terribly! I don't wear the brace in bed of course....but maybe since my body temperature is hot all day long...when I get under the covers with no brace on...I get cold...then use too many covers....who knows...but I wake up soaking wet in the middle of the night...and it is no fun. Anyone else have this happen to them? I doubt the surgery sent me into instant menopause....lol.

Comment

This is precisely why I will choose the coldest months of the year if and when I decide to have surgery. At 57 I am two years post menopause and suffer from terrible hot flashes. I would go mad if I had to wear a turtle shell brace and deal with hot flashes at the same time.

And, yes, I have heard that this surgery can bring on menopause. I recently spoke to a 50-yr-old woman who experienced menopause following her surgery two years ago.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X