New Bee!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bee!

Hi. I think I may have finally found a home! I had written my history in my signature, but it kept coming out over 500 characters, so I figured I'd go this route. Forgive me, but I am currently out of work (not due to my back, I recently moved.) so I need to fill my time
    When I was a teenager, I was diagnosed with scoliosis. I was never treated though, and I'm pretty sure it was extremely mild. My older sister and twins sisters both have it as well. I think my older sister wore a brace, but she is 8 years older then me, and I just don't remember. I know she has seen a chiropractor off and on over the years.

In feb. of 2002 I tripped while walking downstairs, landed on my butt so hard I bounced down 2 more steps. I had x-rays in the ER, but the diagnosis was sprain strain. No mention of scoliosis. Over the following 6 months I had 2 episodes of back pain that went away. I couldn't stand up straight, but I was having "crampy" pain so I thought it was a girl thing...Eventually I developed TMJ, due to poor posture. I started PT in January 2003. By March my TMJ was gone, but my back pain was chronic. I had an Open MRI (I recommend closed ones for those that can stand it) which showed a teeny-tiny herniation at L5/S1 with degenerative disc disease. No mention of scoliosis.

I was refered to a orthopedic who said I was not a candidate for surgery, and refered me to pain management. My pain managment Dr. was an anastesialogist. I thought he as awesome, still do. He treated me for the past 3 years. But, I kept hearing "You shouldn't be in this much pain." According to my MRI, I shouldn't be hurting. They treated my pain, with radio frequency nerve abalation (really helped me) and narcotic pain meds. I've been on pain meds for 3 years now.

A new Closed MRI in 4/2006 showed that my herniation was not teent-tiny, and was in fact a rather significant injury. I know also have facet disease at L4/L5. No mention of scoliosis. I have not seen a ortho in 3 years. I did also see a neurologist 3 years ago, after the Ortho, but he said he couldn't do anything for me. No neurological deficit.

And now what brought me here.....I moved across the state and had to find a new "pain management" dr. My new dr could tell that I had scoliosis without x-rays. He thinks that he is going to be able to get me off the pain meds compeletly. I'm really excited about this new approach, mainly because I thought I was looking at a life of pain meds and eventually surgery. I'm not quite sure what technique or approach he is going to use, as I just met him for the first time, but everything he said makes sense to me. I've done quite a bit of back research over the last 3 years, and I never seemed to fit the picture of someone with a herniated disc. The more I read here, the more I fit in. I've always had upper back and shoulder pain, but never mentioned them because I was so concentrated on getting my lower back under control. This dr touched all the places where I have pain without my saying a word. He said it was "compensation" for my scoliosis. Even though there is no cure for scoliosis, it seems easier to treate the pain then a herniation. And even if I eventually do have to have surgery, it will be a lot further down the road then with the herniation. I feel like I've been given a second chance!

Some personal info: I am a former single mother to two beautiful children. I also have a wonderful....um I quess Partner would be the word, sense boyfriend doesn't cover all the hats he wears. We just moved to his home town for his work. I'm an unemployed office manager. Oh, my parter is also a member of the scoliosis club! Some how we managed from 2 different sides of the state, to end up at the same spine clinic (he is finishing up a project so he isn't here right now, just comes home for the W/E) I guess that's enough for a start...LOL
    30 year old mother of Cait, 7 and Daniel 5.
    Diagnosed with very mild scoliosis at 17. Never treated for it. 2002-fell down the stairs. Took 2 years to be diagnosed with a herniation at L5/S1 and DDD. No mention of Scoliosis. On pain meds ever since. 4/2006 New MRI shows Herniation worse, with facet disease at L4/L5. No mention of Scoliosis. 8/2006 move across state. New back doctor says all my problems are from Moderate Scoliosis, not herniated disc. So, here I am.

Hi Curlesue...

It sounds like you may have what is called functional scoliosis. It's a condition caused by holding your spine in a curved position in response to pain.

I'm glad you've found someone who thinks he can help. Hope it's successful!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
    X