4 weeks post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 weeks post op

Hey everyone I'm glad to report that my crazy mood swings seem to be better, at least I'm not crying at the drop of a hat. I'm walking more and more and am amazed at how exhausted I get. I went yesterday for the first time to the bank, accountant, and grocery store. Was gone about 1 and 1/2 hours and was completely done today. I didn't sleep very well, pain level increased, etc... I'm not driving but just getting in and out of the car is an ordeal. Anyway I'm now wondering how long before everyone slept through the night. I get so sick of these 2-3 hour stints. I'm feeling dragged out lots and think it has to do with the fact that I'm not sleeping. Slowly recovering....it feels like a turtle.....Alissa

Unfortunately I can't help you there, as getting two-three hour stints is a great night for me, but it was that way ever since I was very young, chronic insomnia.

Maybe you can get a sleep aid, if you don't have one prescribed already. Looks like your pain is very normal at this stage.

I know how sleep affect recovery and pain, and it made all the difference in my bad and good days. I just read that sleep is the best medicine in a book about back pain.
    Last edited by sweetness514; 08-17-2006, 05:38 PM.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Lunesta (prescription sleep aid) was a God-send for me... Lack of sleep worsens those mood swings during the day too, i found... You are progressing very well... keep up the good work with the walking... ((hugs))

Comment

Your progress absolutely amazes me. I was pretty much house-bound 4 weeks out. You rock!

As for sleep, it never was a problem for me really. The first couple of nights home were a challenge because I made the adjustment from hospital bed to the bed I share with my husband. I was afraid to share my space for fear he would bump into my back (I sleep on my side with my back facing him). Pain meds enabled me to sleep through the night.

Brandi
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Congratulations! Keep up the great progress.
          jsully
          36 year young cardiac RN
          old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
          new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
          Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
          Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
          and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

I totally feel what you are saying!! I am just now at almost 8 wks post op starting to not cry at the drop of the hat, my doc put me on Valium to calm my nerves and then I finally started sleeping better. I had even tried some sleep aids- but I would only sleep for 2-3 hours and then be wide awake again. FYI-I also found out that when your nerves that got "cut" start to "wake" back up again- it causes more insomnia- this is when they put me on Valium. You will also feel alot better when you are able to do things like drive a car again. I am finally just able to drive again and I can already see a big difference in my mood! Listening to good music also helps my mood out alot too! You are doing GREAT at 4 wks post op!!! Keep up the good work and try to remember to not do too much too soon! I've done it and then paid for it by being couch bound again for a day or two- not much fun!!

Take Care and you are doing GREAT!!!
            Angela
            29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

sleepless in NJ

Hi---I just got home last night & was nervous leaving Kessler Rehab because it took them several days to get my pain meds adjusted while I was there..Finally good relief by the 3rd night there. I am now on percoset(spelling??) & oxycoton(spelling?).... I already have gone longer at home today & last night before I need another dose of percoset(every 4 hrs..I'm going about 6)... The drugs, I think definitely jumpstart me & cause me to ramble on endlessly into the evening...hubby needs to exit fast....!!! I believe they keep me up late(real upper), till about 1:30-2 & sometimes I just doze for a bit & wake up by 3:00 & go in & out of consciousness.....
              I have had no depression to speak of but maybe it comes later, who knows...I'm early yet.......Ly
              http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
              Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 08-27-2006, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Welcome home Lynne!!!! We Survived!!!! I'm so glad to hear you are doing well!! HUGS!!!
                Angela
                29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

sleeping fairly well at 4 weeks post-op

The first week at home my sleep schedule was pretty erratic yet and I dozed on and off through the day and night. After that, I fell into a pretty good day/night routine, waking up once or twice a night for the bathroom. I found out that was a good thing one night when I slept right through, because when I got up, was so stiff and sore that I could barely even move. Had to take my meds and wait for body to "thaw".

My daytime naps are down to one morning and one late afternoon, although I lie down frequently during the day to rest or cool off without my brace.

Deb

Comment

To Deb, Lynne, Brandi Alissa and Angela,

I think you all are amazing!!! Just the fact that you're are all on this forum so soon after your surgeries, not to mention being out and about.

I remember trying to sit at the computer after my surgery and I couldn't even concentrate long enough to get through a post. If I wrote anything in the 3 months afterwards I really don't remember.

I am so happy for all of you, I know it's not easy!!!

Shari
                    Last edited by Shari; 08-27-2006, 01:13 AM.

Comment

thks shari! It is very hard to sit for me(at computer) for more than 10-15 minutes at a spell. Then I go to my bed right after because of the low back pain.... I am 4 weeks out by next Tuesday & each week I do feel much better. As I have said on another post, the pain has been something I can handle-mainly achey feeling. The horrible part for me has been the constipation! I knew from reading the forum it was going to happen after surgery but I never knew how seriously thes drugs can tie you up. I was extremely scared when I was at Kessler Rehab that my body was not functioning properly! I highly recommend people facing this surgery add Senecot to their list of things to have on hand for after surgery. It really works!!!!!! Lynne
                      http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks, Shari. You are so sweet. As you might recall, I was a couple of months out before I even logged on to the computer. As far as sitting at the computer goes, I can now sit for about an hour as long as I have a pillow behind my back. After that, my ribs, and back really start to ache. I usually get on twice per day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon/evening.
                        Brandi
                        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                        L1-S1
                        Dr. William Lauerman
                        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks Shari!! You are soooo sweet! It is the strength that people like you give me when I come on here that helps me alot. It so nice when you know that people like you have had this and are all the better for it now. We overcame, and in some new ways will have to now adapt to our new bodies. Thank YOU!!
                          Angela

Comment

Working...
                          X