Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone had surgery by dr shelokov in texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone had surgery by dr shelokov in texas?

im new on here,my name is trudy and im suppose to have surgery in february.my dr is alexis shelokov and wanted some info from anyone that has seen him or had surgery.
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Hi Trudy,

I live in the Dallas area also and will be having surgery on Dec 5 by Dr. Shelokov. I have not seen him but I have seen Eric his PA. I feel that I have made the right decision in using Dr. Shelokov. If you contact Treva in his office she will give you names and phone numbers of those who have had the surgery. If you want to talk to me send me a private message and I will send you my phone number. Since I am on the waiting list I am still pretty much in the dark about everything. I put my faith in God and trust him to get me through the months ahead. This site is a wealth of info and many caring people who will help you along the way.

Linda G.

Comment

I am scheduled for surgery October 5 with Dr. Shelokov. Feel free to ask questions here or to send me a private message. (At the top of this page, upper righthand corner....just in case you are like me when I was new and didn't know about that)

Comment

I had my surgery done by Dr. Shelokov on July 27th this year and he and his staff are WONDERFUL!!!! Not only am I confident of his knowledge and skills but his bedside manners and compassion are great as well. I was extremely nervous, scared, anxious, etc. right before my surgery and at the end of my last pre-surgery appt. he gave me a hug. And that fatherly-protector kind of hug just made me feel like everything was going to be okay. And so far it has been. I still have the typical pain and a little numbness where the incision was, but this is all very normal for almost 4mos post-op. You're always best to get a few opinions from different surgeons to make sure you pick the right one for you, but if you decide to go with Dr. Shelokov you will not be disappointed. Check out my blog that's noted below. I hope all goes well! Elisha
        Elisha
        http://360.yahoo.com/elishadunaway
        Scoliosis diagnosed at 14, curve was 22 degrees, wore Boston brace for a couple years.
        Left lumbar curve has now progressed at age 33 to approx. 50 degrees and surgery is scheduled with Dr. Alexis Shelokov at Baylor Hospital in Plano, TX for July 27, 2006.
        pre-op curve: 50 degrees
        post-op curve:15 degrees!!

Will be praying that the Great Physician will guide all of our doctors' hands!

Comment

hello

elisha, i sent you a PM. trudy,

Comment

Speaking of Dr. Shelekov, has anyone heard from Marcia who had surgery by Dr. S in early October? I hope she has not experienced any complications and is recovering well.

Chris

Comment

Yes!

Yes I had a complete spinal reconstruction in Aug. of '05 w/ Dr. Shelokov. He and Eric, his PA, are wonderful. I did get a blood clot in my lung - scary! - but due to his quick thinking and the care at Baylor Hospital in Plano, they acted quickly and I'm still here! I'm 38 now and doing pretty good. Have some problems w/ the metal (sleep on your back afterwards!). since I had kyphosis, my body still wants to "hunch"... I am in physical therapy now and trying to strengthen my core and gain some flexibility. Feel free to contact me... I just moved to Omaha from San Antonio, but would love to give you any information you need.
              Diane
              39 y.o. female
              Aug. 9 '05 - T-1 through S-1; Dr. Shelokov -Plano
              Oct. 14 '97 - L4-L5/L5-S1 fusion BAK fusion cages (san antonio)
              Feb. 14 '89 - laminectomy l4-l5/l5-s1 (omaha)
              braced as an adolescent

Comment

Dr. Shelokov is doing my surgery this week - Thursday morning! I've only heard good things about him and really liked him when I saw him in his office. I have one more appointment with him tomorrow morning to discuss the surgery.
                Everything has been very thoroughly planned and, although I went for a long time with no contact, as the date has approached there's been a lot of contact and information flowing in both directions.
                Treva Aldrich, the Surgery coordinator, has been very helpful with answering my questions.
                I'll try to remember to post another reply tomorrow after I've seen Dr. Shelokov so you'll know how that turns out.

Comment

hi snowdal, how soon before your surgery did they start contacting you about more info on your surgery?

Comment

Contact between August and late October was very little. I mostly emailed questions to Treva and got answers from her. During that time, though, they contacted me about going for a stress test and a lung capacity test. I also had a bone density test prior to August.
                    At the end of October, she emailed me a very detailed schedule of pre-op appointments they made for me, and other instructions. The pre-op activities included going to have blood drawn for some tests, when to begin preparing for surgery by washing daily with Hibiclens, Registering at the hospital, EKG appointment, brace fitting, etc.
                    Around this time I also received in the mail a large binder with lots of information everything you could think of. It's to keep all of your papers in one convenient place and it includes everyone's business cards so you can contact just about anyone you need to and have the information handy.
                    This week, beginning with Monday, has been the most activity. Monday was the pre-registration, blood tests, EKG, and brace fitting. Today, Wednesday, was our final conference with Dr. Shelokov. That took longer than I expected. They did x-rays and we spoke with Eric and with Dr. Shelokov.
                    Dr. Shelokov really laid everything out for us. Exactly what he was going to do, how long it would take, when my husband would be told what was going on. My surgery will take about 6 hours and during the last several hours a nurse will come out every hour to tell my husband how I'm doing and what is going on.
                    We also got a very detailed description of what he is doing - he had done that before, but I think we were in a little state of denial or shock or something because not much of that information stayed with us or registered correctly.
                    He told us all of the risks too. He told us about a patient death he'd had last year - due to post op complications, and about the risk of spinal cord injury, etc. Very to the point with everything he covered.
                    I feel very confident and assured that all steps are being taken to have the best possible results.
                    So, tomorrow is my big day! I know the whole thing will be challenging to say least, but I'm really looking forward to feeling better than I do now.
                    I'll keep posting when I can. Good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
                    X