air travel post-op?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air travel post-op?

How soon after surgery has anyone traveled by plane? My husband is in the Navy and on a 6 month deployment. The ship comes home to San Diego and I am in Pennsylvania. He is coming home when I am about 10 weeks post-op, do you think I will be well enough for an airplane trip to his homecoming?

10 weeks should be long enough. Just take some pain killers (whatever you are on at this point even if it is tylenol) and some pillows. Move around as much as possible so that you dont get stiff and enjoy the ride. I would suggest that if at that time you know that you get sore/stiff easily you get an aisle seat so it is easier to get up without tripping over people in the process, just remember to tuck your elbows so that you dont get hit by drink carts on their way by.
    Good luck with your surgery and I hope you are able to make it to San Diego to see your husbands return.
    Mandy

Comment

I was 22 weeks post op before my first flight (also cross country, Maine to Oregon) and it went amazingly well! I usually get a window seat, but got an aisle for the ability to get in and out of my seat more easily and yes, I did stand and walk quite a bit. I also brought an amazing pillow with me. It's made by Scunnci (I think) and is neon blue and filled with tiny foam pieces...it feels like gel, but isn't.

Luckily, on our outbound flight, there was no 3rd passenger in our row, so I was able to lay across the seats to take nap. The trip was tiring, even at 22 weeks, but it was so worth it!

I'm sure you're going to be so excited to see your man that any pain you have will be the last thing on your mind and will be totally erased when you finally see him!

Comment

I travelled in an aeroplane 12 weeks post op. Virtually straight from the hospital onto the plane. I had no problems at all. That was a while ago though!
        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

I went home from rehab on a plan from Boston to San Antonio. I was only 4 weeks post-op. I was tired, but had plenty of pain pills. I think that at 10 weeks you will be fine (if the doctor says it is ok). Good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
          X