Travel questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel questions

My daugter is to have surgery at Shriner's Philadelphia (not able to schedule yet). We were told she would be in hospital 7 days. She is to have thoracoscopic anterior release of T8-T12 and posterior fusion with some kind of bar and pedicle screws (they aren't sure how many vertebrae will be involved yet).

Now to my question. We live in Georgia - surgery in Philadelphia. When do you think she can tollerate the flight home - or can she? Do airports help with situations like this? I can't see her going through long lines at security, riding trams and escalaors, getting to and from the car, and sitting/standing at the airport for 2 hours before flight, etc.

Any suggestions? I thought about taking a train home but not sure about security and boarding procedures. (never taken train before) I know the ride would be about 16 hours but we would get a sleep car so she could lie down. Just wondering about walking on a train and possible unsteadiness?

Thanks
    Mom to Chelsea - 13yo with 60 degrees kyphosis due to Sheuremann's Disease. T8-T12 have fused together (on their own) anteriorly.
    Dr. Betz (Shriner's Philladelphia) states that she needs anterior release and posterior fusion

all i can say is wow. i am 8 weeks post surgery, i had mine on june 19th and had 10 vertebre fussed and my scar is 14 inches long.

i was in the hospital 5 days and i know i would have never been able to go on a plane.

i could only stand/sit for 5-10 minutes at a time for the days right after surgery and once i got home. and after i was very tired. thats the limit for most people

if you go on a train, then at least she'd get to lay down. but make sure that she'd be steady. any jostling is very uncomfortable. if your walking on the train, hold on to her at all times!

i would recommend wearing a big baggy t-shirt, she wont be able to move her arms over her head. and probably no bra, it might bother her, being tight around a sore back. just a tip.

what was the biggest surprise to my family was that i couldnt do anything by myself the first few days home. i needed help in the shower, getting dressed, lifting anything, not being able to bend over at all, and i needed help for a few days getting out of bed and off chairs, seats, in the car, off the toilet (eww but true).

also, it's very hard to go to the bathroom after having surgery, because of the cathetar. i took me 8 days after my surgery to have a bowl movement andd that was only because i had to use a supository. i know some other people on this site have posted that they had to use one also. i would recommend having these on hand.

my email is lroyek@yahoo.com if you have any questions please feel free to emial me!

Lindsay

Comment

Hi,

Traveling for surgery is possible. My son was 6yrs old when he had scoliosis surgery in Texas (we live in Utah). He had two vertical rods placed and they cut apart two sets of fused ribs. The surgery was fairly intense (including two chest tubes for 8 days). He was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and we flew home 3 days after he was released. It is possible. Plan for lots of pillows and cushions to help with the possibly bumpy ride home. Arrange for a wheelchair at any airport. She won't be able to walk long distances, even from on terminal to the next. My suggestion is to stay in Philly for at least 3 days post-op in case there is something that comes up and she needs to be seen by the docs. You'd rather be safe than sorry, IMHO.

Good luck! BTW, Shriners in Philly is wonderful! If you have ANY questions, just ask. They know how to help families that travel long distances. I know you are in great hands.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

i'm not sure about a plane, if you could get a flight where not all the seats are filled the stewartest could probably move you so theres no one behind u then you could probably recline her seat, i had a 3 hour car ride home and i know i slept through almost all of it.
        ~Shannon~
        Surgery: May 25th 2005! Woot!
        13 months Post-op
        E-mail me!:
        starchild_81212@yahoo.com or Star_child_81212@msn.com

Comment

Working...
        X