Decision time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision time!

This is my first time posting a thread on this forum, have been reading lots of yer threads and replies.any advice would be appreciated, 62 degree curve, have to decide whether to have corrective surgery or just fusion to stop it getting worse, and the final option would be to do nothing!!!, if anybody was in the same situation im in would appreciate some advice, and the severity of the surgery if yee had it done.Thanks!

Hi feodin-
    I don't know how old you are, but if you are fairly young and this curve was
    just detected you should get a couple of really good opinions from some of the best orthopedic surgeons where you live. Ask around or check on-line.
    I am from NY state so all I could recommend would be doctors here in NY.
    The doctor who did my surgeries moved to Kansas a few years ago so he
    can't help me with my current problem unless I decided to fly there....

I was 15 when I had scoliosis fusion for an s-shaped curve which measured between 68 and 70 degrees. That was in 1982. Surgery has come a long way since then, if you've been reading the boards you might have noticed people talking about Harrington rods. They don't do the fusion using that anymore
    because it has caused problems later on down the road. At 32 in 1998 I had
    to have what is called revision surgery to fix the part of my back below the fusion. The way they do the surgery now uses different instrumentation
    and the chances of a better long-term outcome should be better.

My advice would be to get some good doctor referrals, just don't get too scared surfing these boards. I hope this helped.
    1982- Scoliosis fusion with Harrington rod T3-L4
    1998- revision surgery for flatback syndrome: fusion extended to sacrum, 2 discs removed/replaced with
    titanium spacers, 2 new short rods attached to Harrington rod, 6 pedicle screws
    2005-found out one screw was broken-surgeon said fusion is solid and not to worry
    2004 to now: neck, shoulder and hip pain, degenerative disc disease in neck, herniated and bulging discs in neck, bone spurs, arthritis

Comment

Hi...

I have a little quiz on my website that should help you think about the sort of things you need to consider:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/ShouldYouHaveSurgery.htm

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My advice would be to see someone who specializes in adult scoliosis. You didn't mention if you were in pain or not. That was my deciding factor. I tried many non-surgical routes before deciding on surgery.
        surgery 9/06
        Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
        X