Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a lumbar curve cause upper back pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a lumbar curve cause upper back pain?

Hi again,

I have this question in mind that I do not know the answer to. I have two curves: the larger is lumbar which is 45 degrees and the thoracic curve is 22 degrees. I am expiriencing pain mostly in the upper back. I read so many of your posts here and see that most of you who have lower curves have lower back pain. The doctor proposed only correcting the lumbar curve and said that it would relieve my lower back pain but I told him that I have pain in the upper back where the shoulder blades are. I asked the doctor if he thinks that scoliosis is causing the pain in the upper back but he said he is not sure and said that he wants me to get an MRI of the thoracic spine.He was not sure why the pain is there and said that in that case he would suggest correcting both curves. I also read that once the lower curve is corrected the upper curve would also decrease on its own by about 10 to 15 degrees which would make my thoracic curve 12 or 7 degrees. When I told the doctor about this he simply said that that is true. Basically I was left with no definitive answer as to why he would correct both curves and whether the pain is caused by any of my curves. I turn to you for any advice on this and also if anyone please can explain the back pain in the upper spine as oppose to where the larger curve ( the lumbar )?

Thanks so much!!!

Mariya
    30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
    8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
    3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
    4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
    2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Hi Mariya-

I hope I can help you. I think maybe your doctor should do an MRI of the
    cervical spine (neck) as well, it could possibly be a disk problem in your neck.
    Not to scare you but that is what I am going through now.
    A 22 degree thoracic curve is not that large but depending on your age
    it may or may not progress. I would find the very best scoliosis surgeons in
    your area and get a couple (at least) opinions,if you live in New York I know of some good ones.
    An explanation for the upper back pain if it doesn't turn out to be neck related
    is that your body is trying to compensate for that 45 degree lumbar curve.
    Think of your vertebra as a stack of dominoes, each one affects the other.
    If one is unstable or out of alignment it throws off the natural balance of the spine. Your body,in turn tries to stabilize itself and with scoliosis that can affect muscles anywhere in the back upper or lower.
    Have you tried a chiropractor? My chiro has seen me through so much stuff for the past 30 years and has been able to explain things better to me than the surgeons.
    Good luck to you and keep in touch
    Jan
    1982- Scoliosis fusion with Harrington rod T3-L4
    1998- revision surgery for flatback syndrome: fusion extended to sacrum, 2 discs removed/replaced with
    titanium spacers, 2 new short rods attached to Harrington rod, 6 pedicle screws
    2005-found out one screw was broken-surgeon said fusion is solid and not to worry
    2004 to now: neck, shoulder and hip pain, degenerative disc disease in neck, herniated and bulging discs in neck, bone spurs, arthritis

Comment

My surgeon said that my upper back pain can be caused by my thoracolumbar curve (55 degrees) - my upper curve is also in the 20s. I agree with Jan that your back will compensate in anyway possible and therefore the pain is not necessarily limited to the area of your curve. However, my PCP wants to rule out other causes of the neck and shoulder pain and therefore is also scheduling an MRI for September. It is obviously different for every person, but if you are really worried, it might help to get an MRI as well???
      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

hi

Hi I agree that you should have an MRI. I would guess that your pain is coming from a bad disc. Usally pain goes down. hope this helps Dave
        Hello I'm Dave
        34 years old
        2002 C5-C7 Fusion with plate and screws.

Sept 2005 T3 to L1
        65 degree before 37 degree After Thoracic
        Rods and Screws

L3-L4 and L5-S1 took discs out fusied with rods and screws.

Had 11 1/4 hour surgery spent 6 days in coma and 7 days in heart ICU. Had a tough surgery don't want to go through that again.

Comment

Working...
        X