upcoming surgery:what to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upcoming surgery:what to expect?

I have surgery scheduled for June 21st,24th and 28th. Open anterior surgery June21st, thorascopic surgery, June 24th and posterior surgery, June 28th. Has anyone had this type of surgery and can you tell me what to expect and what your experiences were? I will be having surgery at UC Davis in Sacramento, Ca.
    Susan

Hi Susan...

How old are you?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,
      I am 49 years old. I will turn 50 the day before my surgery.
      Susan

Comment

Yikes... what a birthday present! ;-)

I had anterior and posterior surgeries performed in the same day, about 12 years ago, at the age of 42. Since I run a scoliosis support group, I've also known many more adults who have had surgery. All of our experiences were amazingly different. Some people had a relatively easy time of it, with good pain control, and no major complications. Others have had horrible recoveries. I will say that almost everyone over the age of 40 had at least one minor complication.

I'd encourage you to read a new book by scoliosis patient Dave Wolpert, "Scoliosis Surgery The Definitive Patient Reference." It will give you a good idea of what you might expect. You can buy it from The National Scoliosis Foundation, or directly from the author at http://www.curvedspine.com.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi,

New member....I just finished that book last night,,..I stayed up all night to read it...It was an honest tale of surgery.....

I'm 45 , my curve is 53 and I have some degenerated dic in the L5-L1 osteoprosis too....but I'm also in so much pain.....I shifting between 2 doctors

Dr.Micheal Neuwirth he has a good book out to and he did gloria estafans back

Dr. Jean Farcy,,,
          has any body heard good things about either doctor????

They want to go posterior and fuse way down low...I'm afraid I won't be able to ever bend. Can that happen?
          Will I ever be able to ski, horseback ride or play tennis?

I also have had problems with adhesion formation in the abdominal area can scarring in the spine cause problems????

Thanks
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004