Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surgery Outcome for PaulaSue's Daughter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Outcome for PaulaSue's Daughter?

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone had heard how PaulaSue's daughter surgery went? She had it on Mar.18.

Hi, Just me again. Worried about no response from Peggy Sue. Hope everything went ok.

Comment

Hi, Peggy,

Thanks so much for asking about my daughter's surgery on March 18th. She was in the hospital for seven days following surgery. She had a bit of a rough time at the beginning - in intensive care for four days - she had trouble getting her lungs and digestive tract to "wake up." Once she crossed that hump, however, things began to improve rapidly, and she walked out of the hospital without assistance. The surgery itself went VERY well - I don't know the degree of correction yet but to look at her, it seems to be very great. The rib hump is almost gone (no ribs removed) and her hip prominence (what bothered her the most) is totally gone. She is two inches taller! The incision is healing nicely and she is moving around the house, up and down the stairs, gets in and out of bed and chairs by herself, showering, etc., although she is still in quite a bit of pain after staying in one position too long. Her doctor is Steven Mardjetko in Chicago, and the surgery was performed at Advocate Lutheran General. They all were wonderful. When I look back to where we were eleven days ago, I feel like I have lived through a miracle. It has definitely not been easy, but she did it and has never wavered in her belief that having the surgery was the right choice for her. Thanks SO MUCH for your support!

Paula (Sarah's mom)

Comment

I am so happy and relieved to hear everything went well during the surgery and that your daughter is progressing so well. That really must have been a tough week. Sound like you had a wonderful doctor and hospital. I bet it feels so good to have it over with. Best of Luck with the rest of her recovery. Great news.

Comment

Congratulations to Paulasue and her daughter!
          I had my surgery in chicago as well - at Children's Memorial Hospital under Dr. Sawark. I hear you on the digestive front - that was my WORST problem. I hope things are going much better for her in that area.

Let your daughter know that I had surgery just under two months ago and I would be delighted to andwer ANY questions. I love sharing my experiences with others and helping them out. Same to you Peggy.

Good luck to all.
          Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
          L2 to T4
          Braced for 4 years
          Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Hi, Charlotte,

Thanks so much for your good wishes! Yes, the digestive issues were a real problem and she remains a little bloated even now, although each day it is getting better.

I have a question - did you experienced headaches after you came home from the hospital? Sarah has begun to have them in the forehead area and we are trying to figure out what may be the cause. She is still taking Norco for pain relief, which may be the culprit, but I don't see headaches listed as possible side effects.

I have heard good things about Dr. Sawark - he was one of the surgeons originally recommended by our pediatrician.

Thanks!

Paula (Sarah's mom)

Comment

I really liked Dr. Sawark. Apparently he is world renowned for his progress in spinal fusion - I have a neighbor who moved here from michigan just to be treated by him on a regular basis. She has a form of scoliosis where the vertabrae are scattered around in no particular order.

I didn't have any headache problems that I can remember, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. It might be related to the painkillers because I didn't take Norco - I was on Tylenol with Codine. You might try to stop or reduce the painkillers and see if the pain is bearable. You might find that your daughter really doesn't need the medication at all, or maybe only occasionally.

Good luck, as always.
              Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
              L2 to T4
              Braced for 4 years
              Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

PaulaSue,
                Why don't you call your doctor and ask about the headaches? Could be the pain pills or sometimes extreme constipation will cause headaches. Good Luck.

Comment

After three days of constantly recurring ("rebound" ??) headaches, some mild, others not, she decided it was time to get rid of the pain pills. She stopped taking the Norco (which is a strong form of acetominephen -sp?- and codeine), took an Excedrin instead, and finally got rid of the headache. Hooray!

Comment

Working...
                  X