How am I doing compared to everyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How am I doing compared to everyone?

Hey guys I made it throught surgery, and am now home. I'm three weeks post op and really am struggling. I think part of it is I'm very goal orriented and I don't know how to push myself. What is to much and what is not enough. I can listen to my body for sure but lately I feel like I'm not progressing as I should be. What was everyone else doing at 3-4 weeks? Walking, medication, sleeping etc...I'm an emotional basket case which is so not like me. I had a horrilble hospital experience and in general would just like to know when I will break though this... Thanks Alissa

Welcome back! Not having had surgery yet, I can't give you any advice or comment on what you're experiencing. But, at least the worst is over and hopefully each day will get better for you. I'm almost afraid to ask about your horrible hospital experience though.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Chris

Comment

Hi Alissa...

As I'm sure you've read a million times, we're all really different. At 3 weeks post-op, I was still spending the vast majority of my time in bed. I took 2 short walks every day, and got up for meals, showers, and to use the washroom. I was also very disappointed with my progress. I expected to see real differences every day/week, and that just didn't happen for me.

Post op depression is REALLY common. I'd urge you to set a goal for yourself to increase your walking time by some amount of distance or time every day. Not only will it help with the depression, but it will help with all of your other symptoms as well. I know how hard it is to get motivated to take a walk when it's so painful, but do what you have to do to make it happen.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Alissa,
        First of all, congrats for getting through the surgery! Secondly, it's tough to compare yourself to others, but this board is great in that you can get an idea of where you should be or how you should be feeling at a given point in recover.

For me, at 3 weeks, I was sleeping A LOT and walking a little. My husband was pushing me to walk more than I was and I'm glad he did, but I just felt so damn tired and when I would walk, but body would get very tired, very easily, so I just didn't do too much. I was still taking some pain meds, but not throughout the day. Around week 3 or 4, I started taking Tylenol during the day and the pain meds only at night to help me sleep or when I was overly-active. It was a very tough time for me because I was more aware of my aches and pains and starting to realize the full impact of what had happened and missing the things I used to take for granted. Keeping a journal of your milestones from day to day or week to week is really helpful. When I would get down, my husband would say, "Remember last week when you couldn't do such and such? Well, this week you can and next week, you'll be able to do something that this week, you can't." It really helped me realize that I was making progress...although very slow progress.

Hang in there girl....you'll get through it!

Comment

Hi Alissa, I am glad your doing good. You will get stronger everyday. It may not seem like it but you will.
          At three weeks I was not doing much. I walked as much as I could. I slept a lot. I tried to stay up and not sleep so much but just couldn't. I think it was a combination of surgery and pain meds. I was still taking my pain meds regularly at three weeks. No way I could have done with out them. I did not think I was doing very good either and when I went to the Dr. he said I was doing great. That gave me the encouragement I needed. It is rough to get through and your body has been through a major operation so it will take you time. It is normal I think to get depressed also. I did. Good luck and hang in there.

Mattie

Comment

Hi Peachtree--You're 4 days ahead of me.

Hi Peachtree--

I had my posterior surgery July 24th, I think you were the 20th! I was in the hospital for 8 days. The 2nd half of it was rough because they did not have me on effective pain meds; but got on some before I was discharged, so was doing better by the time I got home.

I went for my 2 week post-op check-up yesterday and they said I was doing great! My incision is almost completely healed--just some steri-strips left on it that will come off when they are ready.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I am 47. I had some hip and lower back pain before the surgery and those areas are still somewhat achy although in a different way now. I was fused T-5 to L-5. My curves before surgery were T70/L77 and they got a 30 degree correction in each curve. My back looks straighter now; gained an inch and half in height.

I have a small hospital bed in my living room where I rest during the day whenever I get tired--about every hour or two. I sit up for brief periods during the day to watch tv, eat, or use computer. Also walk around the house and in my yard (of course, all is done very slowly). I have the turtleshell brace which I wear outside of my clothes when I am sitting or walking.

You are right, the progress is slow compared to other types of surgeries, but when you think of where we were 2 or 3 weeks ago, I think that we are doing great!! My husband had to do almost everything for me when I got home a week and half ago and now I can shower and dress myself with very little help needed.

Keep writing on the forum and letting us know how you are doing!

Deb

Comment

At three weeks it's normal that it's slow and it hurts a lot, it's the first phase of recovery. I started getting off pain meds(just taking Tylenol that didn't do much), but that was b/c I was afraid of addiction and the doctors didn't want to give me more narcotics, just my sleep aid. So looking back that slowed down my recovery and taking some is not harmful. Being the insomniac that I am, surgery still didn't make me sleep afterwards, wich didn't help either. The nights I got 5-6 hours of sleep helped and walking did too. I watched TV in the recliner a lot. Try to eat even if you're not that hungry, and move but rest as well. You need to push yourself a bit, but not too much. Healing will come naturally and it takes time, a lot of it.

Take care.
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Alissa -

Congrats on a successful surgery. What I have discovered is that it doesn't really matter what "everyone else was doing" because none of us were doing the exact same thing. Because we are all different, we heal at different rates. What I can tell you is that you are not alone. I was also a "basket case" for several weeks after surgery. I cried a lot and I didn't always know why. We have been through quite an ordeal and it is o.k. to feel down, sad, depressed, confused, frustrated, etc. Try to remember that nothing lasts forever and you will feel better. I am amazed that at 3 weeks post-op you are online chatting with us. I was right around 2 months post-op until I felt up to getting online. Don't push yourself. Your body will let you know what it is ready to do. If you do too much - you'll know it.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery,
                Brandi
                Brandi
                Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman
                Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Everyone

I'm reading all these successful stories and I am crying. I have yet to schedule my surgery, because I'm very scared! I think I'm scared of the recovery. I know it's a long recovery and I know I am not looking forward to that. I just wanted to vent a little and this forum helps a lot (even though I don't write much, I do read most of the posts). Has anyone felt the same way?

Congratulations to all who have had surgery and to those of you who have scheduled their surgeries. Hopefully I will schedule mine soon! I would like to have it in June 2007, so I can recuperate for September when my kids go back to school.

Thanks for listening,

Maria

70 lumbar T12-L4
                  40 thoracic T5-11

Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Beth Isreal Spine Institue
                  N.Y.,N.Y

Comment

Hi Riri,

I feel the same way you do. I am also probably going to schedule my surgery for June 2007, and I'm most definitely not looking forward to it. This forum really helps you to prepare physically and mentally for the surgery, but at the same time it's scary to read about possible complications. In the end, we're all so different, there's just no way of knowing how it will be for us. But at least we'll be going into it with our eyes open.

Good luck!
                    Chris
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Alissa,

We are always our own worst critics. I too thought I should be doing better at times throughout my recovery. The emotional rollercoaster will pass as well so don't worry. You have been through a lot. Each day will seem like very little progress at times then you will look back and realise just how far you have come. 2-3 weeks ago you were still in the hospital, remember those days? Think of what you can do now that you couldn't do then. You will do great, it just takes time and patients. Not something a lot of us had before surgery but something a lot of us learned! Take it day by day, you will be fine. Its tough to know how hard to push yourself, you don't want to over do it and pay the next day. There is plenty of time to push yourself later, you may just need to sleep and take it easy a bit longer. It isn't a race to recover I kept telling myself. Best wishes.

Comment

My surgery was Aug. 3rd and 8th

Yes, I had two of them (lucky me). I had a fusion of L-5 to S-1. Also had the illiac crest bone graft (so 2 incisions). The reason they opened me back up on the 8th, was because I awoke from the first surgery with a LOT of pain down my right leg (that wasn't there prior to surgery). So they went back in and "loosened the screws, and did some more decompression of the nerve canals". I still have sensitivity all along the right leg...and hope it will go away soon. I took my last pain pill (Hydrocodone) last night at bed time (along with a sleeping pill). Today I haven't taken any meds...because I only have one left. I think I'll just stop taking them...and try some over the counter pills. Unfortunately, I took some Advil today...but I don't think that anti-inflammatories are advised after surgery (not sure why).

So, it's only been a few weeks for me...but I feel better. I walk some...but get hot and tired. The brace is nice...but hot. I like to lay in the bed some throughout the day just to get the brace off and to rest. But mostly...I'm dealing with BOREDOM. (I'm 46 years old).

Comment

Latindancermom

Advil and other anti-inflammatories are not recommended for at least 6 weeks following surgery because they can interfere with the fusion process. I strongly suggest you speak with your surgeon regarding pain relievers.
                          Brandi
                          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                          L1-S1
                          Dr. William Lauerman
                          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Advil/antiinflammatories

Advil and other anti-inflammatories are not recommended for at least 6 weeks following surgery because they can interfere with the fusion process.
                            Many doctors now say ONE YEAR because it can interfere with the fusion process.
                            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Many doctors still don't warn their patients though. My ortho told me once in a while it wouldn't hurt to take an Advil but it never does much for me anyways.
                              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                              X