We are new to this entire process...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are new to this entire process...

Hi everyone! We as parents are new to Scoliosis and to this site! Our 12 (almost 13) year old daughter was just told she has Scoliosis. Of course we all went through the emotions of it all. (we just found out days ago). I am really scared for her because she has had issues with her knees for a long time and know we have to worry about her back. She is worried that the kids in school will make fun of her. And looking back when I was in school, they more than likely will. I have not had this problem to deal with yet and any advice would be great. I want to make sure I say and do the right things to make her feel as confortable as I can. Is there books we should read, and things we should do as a family? Also, will strengthing training excersise alone keep it from getting worse? We just joined Curves for Women and we will be doing physical therapy as well. Feel free to email me at eidson@pixius.net. I would also love for my daugther to be able to chat with any other girls close to her age with the same thing. Of course she chats on msn messenger, yahoo messenger and aol messenger. So just email me if any of your daughters would like to chat with her. They might be able to support each other a little better than parents can. Just a thought.

Robin Eidson
    Scared & Nervous in Kansas

Hi Robin,

I sent you an e-mail, but wanted to add something. There is a great website called SpineKids. There are a few parents who post there, but it is mostly teenagers. It is a great place for kids to talk to other kids who also have Scoliosis.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hey

I have MSN messanger send me an email at Cloudy94@gmail.com to add you. I will me very happy to help you. I was scared to h*** for the first month or so in my brace at school. But now I'm glad that everyone knows about my brace read my post about named Somthing Funny(at least to me) i think you will like the story. I actually like it when people ask me about my brace because i can inform them about my scoliosis. Also some people don't know how to react to me having a brace, some 'cool' guys say why do u have a hunchback??? being a big mouth and all I just laugh and tell them that I have scoliosis and they go 'scoliblahblah what??'so I have to tell them what the whole thing is and all. I advise that if your daughter gets a back brace then for her to let the news about it go out through her school and not be ambaressed by her haveing scoliosis, I actually thankful for my back (somtimes more than other times but you get my point)

I hope this helps and if you have any more question just email me.
      Mák Veronika
      14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
      40T
      54L
      +rotation
      Boston Brace since December 2005
      Location in Florida

I play flute.
      I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

Hi Robin,
        It is a pretty scary thing, i know what you are going through. Our daughter Kaitlin is 11 and just started wearing a brace about a month ago, she will wear it for approx 2 yrs. The kids at school have been great, you know i think overall kids are a lot more informed and tolerant of things these days than when we were kids so i think it will be okay. We also joined the spinekids forum and there are lots of girls/boys same age there to talk to and lots of info for us parents as well.
        We live in Australia and the summer heat is worrying to us whilst in the brace but overall now that she is wearing it it is not nearly as bad as we all imagined thank goodness. I think i have learnt more in the last month than in my life, i am like a sponge soaking up all the info i can about scoliosis.
        Take care and hope we can all help each other - Melinda xx

Comment

also meant to say has she read Deenie by Judy Blume? A good book to relate to! Melinda xxx

Comment

Working...
          X