has anyone had surgery for pain??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone had surgery for pain??

i am contemplating having surgery for pain issues. I have a 42 degree thoracic and 40 degree lumbar curve (i know, not too bad), but i have been experiencing constant pain in my back for around 4 years now. i am young, almost 19, but is there anyone out there with this problem? if i didn't have pain i wouldn't even remotely be comtemplating this, and i have gone through all of the options- PT, cortizone injections, pain meds, yoga, tons of exercise, lidocaine patches, TENs unit, etc. etc. etc.....

just wondering if anyone else is having an experience anything like this or has had surgery to control pain?? ...and has it helped and was it worth it?

-abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

I have had back pain all of my life, most of the time it has been controllable with advil. Last year the pain has gotten progressively worse radiating to my butt and right leg. The pain is what made me seek out a scoliosis surgeon. I tried many things before considering surgery. Steroid shots physical therapy and chiro. They did not help me but they are worth a try before surgery. I have a 55 degree lumbar curve. I am having surgery next month.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Comment

Hi Abbie,

I think the pain was the driving force for almost all of our surgeries. To answer you last question, I can honestly say that all the pain I had before the surgery, I no longer have. I feel in a way that I traded pains though.

Don't consider your curves "not too bad" just because they are not over a certain degree. You're young and you deserve the opportunity to have a wonderful life without the pain that you have now.

It's a decision you must make with alot of considerations. Don't rush it without careful research and expert medical opinions!!!

Shari

Comment

Traded Pains?

Shari,

What type of pains did you get after the surgery that you didn't have before?

Jamie

Comment

Pain was the reason for my surgery. I have several congenital defects and was told that my surgery would not correct my curves as much as it would stabilize my spine (did get some correction however). I had low back pain for 3-4 years and pain in my right leg for 8-9 years. Since surgery, I have not felt any of the pain I had before. I have new, surgery related aches and pains -- but they will eventually subside and hopefully disappear altogether.

Brandi
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Abbie, I had a curvature of 56%. I knew it was getting worse by looking at myself. But my main reason for surgery was pain. I had severe pain in my right hip. I have had pain since my surgeries but not the same kind. The surgeries I had were hard to recover from. I have lately been having some different pain. My back hurts in the spine area. It is just in one area approxiamtely 2" long. I think I have either a screw bothering me or I have irritated something. If the pain is to severe you may have to consider surgery. It is a hard and sifficult decision. At least it was for me.

Mattie

Comment

thank you everyone for replying! It really helps to have some input from other people. I am going to see another surgeon, and hopefully he will help me with some answers.

I'm not sure though how to quantify my pain though, if i'm just being a wimp, or if it's something i shoudn't be having to deal with. It's not really preventing me from doing anything, just making everything not as enjoyable and really really uncomfortable and painful... i have managed to play basketball all four years in high school but i don't think it's worth dealing with to play in college despite offers because i'm thinking it's making my back worse...

how has the pain affected your lives?

-abbie
              aBbiE
              Kyphoscoliosis...
              Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation

Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
              all smiles!

Comment

Abbie,
                I suffered with pain from 12 years old. I don't know what my curves were when it was first diagnosed. I would cry all the time about the pain so my mother took me to the doctor. It makes me mad when I hear doctors say scoliosis does not cause pain - that is absolutely not true in my case. When I had the surgery at 27 years old, the curves were 62/32. After the recover period was over, I was 100% pain-free. It was the best decision I ever made. Even though your curves are as you say "not too bad", pain is pain. There are some people on this site that have much higher curves and their pain in minimal so I don't necessarily believe the higher the curve the worse you are in pain. It's an individual thing. Good luck and I hope you find peace with your decision. All the best, LYNN
                1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                2000 Partial Rod Removal
                2001 Right Scapular Resection
                12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Lynn,

thanks! How is your pain now though, still as good as it was soon after surgery?

-abbie
                  aBbiE
                  Kyphoscoliosis...

Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                  all smiles!

Comment

Pain since the original surgery

Abbie - I was 100% pain free from 1981 until mid-1997. I started to experience pain under my right scapular then neck, eventually my hips. I blamed it on stress as both my parents passed away fairly close together. I started that wild goose chase of finding a doctor that knew what they were talking about. If only I knew about this website, it would have saved me countless, pointless doctor appointments - but that's in the past. Don't forget I have the Harrington Rod that has caused trouble years later with many patients. The hardware is so advanced now as well as the surgery itself. Presently I'm with a wonderful pain management doctor for three years who was able to get me on the right medications, and I am very grateful for that. Any other questions, please let me know. LYNN
                    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                    2000 Partial Rod Removal
                    2001 Right Scapular Resection
                    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

thank you Lynn, that helps a lot!

-abbie
                      aBbiE
                      Kyphoscoliosis...

Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                      all smiles!

Comment

Working...
                      X