Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting 2nd,3rd opinions

Hi everyone,

My PCP just okayed me to go get a second opinion for my scoliosis (55 degree thoracolumbar curve). I'm pretty sure I would have the surgery with Dr. Tribus in Madison, Wisconsin, but I am wondering how to approach my "2nd opinion surgeon."

Do I tell him that I am seeing him to seek another opinion? OR, is it better just to give him the x-rays, say that I'm considering surgery and see what he says? Is it typical protocol to tell him/her other surgeons you have seen?

I would appreciate advice! Thank you.
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Hi, Abhbarry
    Good to see someone from Wisconsin on here. I'm from the Milwaukee area. My son had spinal fusion surgery a couple of weeks ago. I went with a surgeon from Children's here in Milwaukee. I did obtain a second opinion out at UW Madison from Dr. David Mann though. Not sure if he is an adult orthopaedic doc too or he just does pediatric cases? I'm not familiar with Dr. Tribus. I told Dr. Mann I wanted a second opinion from him and he asked me who my son has been seeing and I told him. He even told me that the other doctor my son had been seeing was very skilled and throughly trained. I don't think doctors feel offended if you seek another opinion. Or at least they shouldn't. Both surgeons my son seen were not offended in the least bit and understood completely. It is a big surgery and a big decision to make. And if a surgeon had a problem with it I don't think I would want to be treated by them. Best wishes to you and I hope you get all the information you need.
    Linda
    Mom to Hunter (10 yrs old), status post posterior spinal fusion T1-sacrum 7/24/06 w/spastic quad CP

Comment

Abhbarry,

I'm glad to hear you are getting at least a second opinion. I took my daughter to 5 different doctors, 3 of which were at the same hospital, and each one of them knew she had been seen by the other doctors. The first 2 doctors were just not impressive to me or Jamie, so I knew in my heart they would not be doing surgery on her.

Be aware that you may get very conflicting opinions.

Trust your instincts. You will know which doctor is right for you.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi...

Not sure what everyone does, but my second opinion knew that he was a second opinion. I think it's a good idea to bring x-rays and a report from the first surgeon, so that you can know, if they have differing opinions, exactly how they differ.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X