Anterior Fusion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anterior Fusion!

Hi, everyone. I've been reading Wolpert's book on scoliosis surgery and I'm a little concerned about anterior fusion. It says the chances of instrumentation failure is much greater! If this is so, why are DR's so gung-ho on doing this procedure? Just wondering. Certainly do not want to have to go back under the knife if possible.
    Thanks,
    jsully
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Hi...

Can you tell me on which page you read that?

I suspect that Dave was talking about the original anterior implants, which did break quite often. As far as I know, current anterior implants do not have an increased rate of breakage.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks For The Clarification. I Was Not Sure If That Still Remained To Be True. Can You Tell Me If The Prevalence Of Failure Is Still Greater In Anterior Approach Or Is It Realitively The Same?
      Jsully
      36 year young cardiac RN
      old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
      new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
      Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
      Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
      and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Hi...

I couldn't find any studies that addressed that specific issue. I can't remember ever talking to anyone with an anterior fusion and current implants that were broken, so I'm guessing that's a non-issue.

Check out this article for the latest info on what's best:
        http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/full/88/8/1897

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X