Strange pain-5 week post op...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange pain-5 week post op...?

Hi guys. Just 5 weeks after my T4-T12 fusion and have been suffering some tight, sharp pains in a strange place. just under my left butt cheek, straight under the place where my bone graft was taken from my hip. Has anyone had anything like this? I am worried that since i am looking after myself now, i have strained my muscle of something worse. I have been taking it fairly easy but am stubborn and hate mess so have been bending(squatting) down to get thingsd rather than waiting for someone to visit.
    Another thing, how long was it before you had feeling on and around the spinal scar tissue? Mine is very sensitive and tender and feels very strange when someone touches or rubs it.
    Apart from these couple of things, i am doing really well. Going to try driving next week at 6 weeks post op. When i get that back i'll definately feel a lot more like my old independent self.
    Katie

Hi katiev

I had quite a bit of soreness right where the took bone from my hip, for awhile after, but nowhere random like that. I'd say that if you ever have any unusual pain that doesn't seem to be related to the surgical site, you should contact your doctor!

Good luck and a speedy recovery!
    Jen
    24/NY
    Harrington rod placement & fusions
    11/2/94
    60T, 35L

Comment

Katie,
      Unfortunately, I think we all expereience different pains due to the various nerves that were cut and moved around and nerves are very tricky business. I had sharp pains where my rib was removed (spasms) and when I had gas bubbles in my chest and then, the pain would appear in strange places like my shoulder. If you have an appt. soon, I would talk with the surgeon then, but if it's going to be a few weeks before you see him/her, I would give their office a call and see if they can help you out over the phone.

As for sensation around my incision...I'm 18 months post op and still cannot feel a darn thing in some spots along my incision and I can only feel pressure in other spots along it. I have noticed though that I'm still getting feeling back in some places. I know that most likely, all of the feeling will not come back however. I've read that if you stimulate the area with different sensations, it might help some of the nerves come back to life.

Comment

Your fusion are is the same as mine!

I didn't have a bone graft, but I do hear that is the most painful part, so I would exect that the pain by your hip is "normal". As for sensation on the skin of your back - I still have issues with mine, and I am now 8 months post op. I have my husband rub it, and that helps me get used to the odd sensations. Slowly, but surely it is getting better though. Also, I started driving around 5 weeks post op, so you are on a simialr schedule to me too. Keep up the good work!
        Meg is Spinewhine
        31 years old with thoracic curve
        Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
        Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
        http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

It is possible you pulled something b/c of the bending. Maybe you should try to not bend for a while and see if it goes away, and if not contact your doc.

I never got my feeling completely back, especially around my mid back, but with time, even years it got better in the upper and lower parts. At about two months post op is when feelings of nerves(not very pleasant might I add) come back. It is on and off for months. I'm not 8 months post op revision and back to square one, as I now am regaining some of the sensations that I had gotten all back in the 8 years after my first surgery. Wearing tight clothes and tops that have things that touch my back(like zippers, buttons or bra straps) are annoying.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Thank you all for your speedy replies. I have to say, i took it very easy today(which was frustrating for me) and my pain has almost gone so i'm sure i just aggrevated some nerves by squatting down.
            My doc told me to get my partner to rub the wound with some sorbelene cream every night to ease the transition for the return of feeling and even though at first it was very uncomfortable, it seems to be getting less so.
            I will keep you updated if things change.
            Katie

Comment

Sorbelene cream

What is it? I'm curious
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Sorbelene Cream

An all over body moisturiser with the added benefits and nutrients of Vitamin E. Suitable for all skin types, the lotion assists in preventing dryness, roughness, flaking and loss of elasticity. Contains Sorbolene formula, 10% Glycerine skin moisturiser which is quickly absorbed into the skin and offers a great alternative to soap, particularly for sensitive skin.
                (I'm pretty sure you can only get it in Australia)
                Hope that helps!!!!!!!
                Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Katie,

I think we all have experienced pains from doing something we shouldn't have too soon. The first time I tried to drive, I tried to get in the car the way I used to out of habit, for 2 months afterwards, I had a pain that radiated from my right hip down to my ankle.

I am now almost 15 months post-op and still with some numbness in areas around the incision on my back. I will have this incrediable itchy sensation in a certain area that scratching does nothing for because it's numb and then, within 3-5 days I have my feeling back. The scar that is the most sensative on me is the one from the ant. surgery. I can't stand when anything touches it. It's not painful it's just iritating.

Don't try to do too much, let you body heal in it's own way.

Shari

Comment

Working...
                  X