scoliosis and neurotube defects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoliosis and neurotube defects

i have moderate scoliosis, but currently don't know of anyone else in my family that has it. My grandmother, and uncle have had spinal fusions for herneated disks, my dad suffers from herneated disks, and my older sister and myself are alreay experiencing early onset disk degeneration. My mom gave birth to a baby with spina bifida (which did not make it), and i have a second cousin who has hydrosyphalus (sp?) and stints to control it...

does anyone else have a family like this, and could it be related??

-abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Originally posted by amae28
    i have moderate scoliosis, but currently don't know of anyone else in my family that has it. My grandmother, and uncle have had spinal fusions for herneated disks, my dad suffers from herneated disks, and my older sister and myself are alreay experiencing early onset disk degeneration. My mom gave birth to a baby with spina bifida (which did not make it), and i have a second cousin who has hydrosyphalus (sp?) and stints to control it...

does anyone else have a family like this, and could it be related??

-abbie
    Abbie,
    I hate to hear that about your mothers baby!
    I have a daughter that has spinabifida. She has a shunt and has scoliosis. I have two other children that no defects. I have a large family with 7 brothers, but are all healthy with no problems.
    When my daughter was born I was told that it could be related somewhere down our family line, but my father went crazy looking to find nothing!! Then, they came back with the folic acid thing. I don't think they truly know if things like this are related.

Denise

Comment

I was born with spina bifida - the only person in our family to have any back problems. Many spina bifida children go on to develop scoliosis because their back muscles are damaged and/or there is weakness in the spine.

All research seems to suggest that spina bifida is linked to mother's diet (especially folic acid) but sorry, I can't help you an more than that.
      Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
      Post op 30(T)/33(L)
      http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

thanks guys-

i think it's just something that no one will know until research tells us more... it's just interesting to think about, and hopefully none of this will affect any future children if i have any...

thanks,
        abbie
        aBbiE
        22 yr old F,KU college student
        Kyphoscoliosis...
        Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
        Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
        I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
        Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
        all smiles!

Comment

I have spina bifida occulta on my sacrum, from s1 to s 5. 5%-10% of the population have spina bifida occulta...this is the 'mildest' form of spina bifida and it rarely caues problems

I only found out b/c of a pelvic CT scan I got recently..
          30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
          2005 - T50, L31
          bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
          2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
          Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Originally posted by green m&m
            I have spina bifida occulta on my sacrum, from s1 to s 5. 5%-10% of the population have spina bifida occulta...this is the 'mildest' form of spina bifida and it rarely caues problems

I only found out b/c of a pelvic CT scan I got recently..
            I believe I have the same kind, as it was written on my Xrays. I was never told about it.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
            X