View Full Version : Home from hospital and surgery Tuesday

08-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Hi to Singer and all who have been waiting to hear about my surgery:

I came home Tuesday and am a little woozy from meds but able to sit up for a bit and write that I am okay and survived well; got a good correction with no major complications.

At 5:30 am Tuesday morning before we were to drive to the hospital, I had an anxiety attack with stomach cramps, nausea, sweating, dizziness, etc. Was lying down on the couch not even sure if I could get to the car. My husband put a cold cloth on my head and I took deep breaths and finally made it to the backseat of the car with a bowl for the trip. (This may have been due to having to stop St. John's Wort 5 days before which I usually take for anxiety). When we got to the hospital, my husband told the receptionist that I was in rough shape, so they got a wheelchair for me to sit in and took me right in to get ready; gave me something once the iv was started for anxiety. Then I remember the OR and waking up in my room (a semi-private one) and seeing my husband.

I was lying on my back and there was some pain when I was helped to roll side to side but that was it.

Well, I'm getting tired, so will continue writing on this thread as able. Was glad to hear that Lynne is recovering well. I thought about her all week.

age 47
Posterior surgery T-5 to L-5
July 24, 2006 at Butterworth hospital in Grand Rapids, MI

08-03-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm so glad to hear that surgery went well for you and you are on your way to recovery. I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing about your continued progression!
Best wishes.

08-03-2006, 03:35 PM
YAY DEB!!!! I'm so glad your surgery went well and that you've gotten good correction! Keep us posted....

08-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi, Cakedec
Glad to hear that you got through the surgery alright. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and take it easy! ;)

08-03-2006, 04:59 PM

Congratulations on a successful surgery! I am happy to hear all went well. I wish you a quick and speedy recovery.

08-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi Deb!! So good to hear from you. Best wishes for lots of rest and a speedy recovery. Keep us posted!


08-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Glad to hear you are doing well. Yes, the rolling over is a "pain", but I'm glad the meds are working for you. We'll keep you in our prayers. Linda

always smilin'
08-03-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm VERY happy for you - glad that all has gone well!

Take good care!
Always Smilin'

08-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Congratulations for getting the surgery behind you! Hope you continue to do well and looking forward to hearing from you.

08-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Here's to a speedy recovery. Glad the surgery went well.

08-04-2006, 04:35 PM
The first three days, up to Thursday, were pretty calm with the morphine pump and iv my pain was well controlled. On Wednesday they took out my catheter and I was able to go at a commode close by my bed. My period started, of course, so had to get their disposable panties and pads for that which made it even harder than ever to go.

Some people came in on Tuesday to fit me for my hard shell brace. THey were real pros and knew just how to turn me from front to back to get both sides of the cast. I didn't know if I would like the brace but it actually helped support my upper back when I rolled over and stopped the pain spasms. Although they said that I didn't have to wear it in bed, I did a lot of the time because of the good support it gave my back; taking it off just to cool off, change, wash, etc.

I remember some visitors coming and going. There were some who came while I was sleeping and signed a piece of paper to let me know they had been by. Also physical therapy and occupational therapy people came by for brief visits to go over movements, dressing, etc. I used a rolling walker to walk around in the room.

By either late Wednesday or early Thursday, they took out my iv's and pain medicine. I had to ask for pain medication or injections. Also, they were still keeping me on only liquids. On Thursday afternoon, they said that I was anemic and gave me 2 units of blood. That evening, my heartbeat started racing. I could feel it just pounding in my chest. Called the nurse and she said that it was 180 beats per minute. I told them that I'd had this before from dehydration after a D& C and also during stressful times. They ordered chest scans and put a heart monitor on me. Also did an echo test of the heart which all showed nothing. Blood tests showed low potassium and phosphorus so they started the iv up again to give me more of those, plus tablets. After that, everything slowed down and I was doing better so all iv lines were out again Friday.

I started getting regular meals, but could eat only very little; mainly wanted to drink. My main problem was still the pain control with it going up and down so much I would be shaking and crying part of the time. The therapists would come in and try to work with me but I was hurting too much to even get up and down or walk.

On Sunday, my surgeon's partner came by in the morning to check on me. I told him that they weren't giving me anything that lasted more than 2 hours to control pain and could he check my medicines to see if there was something else that might work. He started me on the oxycodone 12 hour with the immediate release tablets 2-4 hours for breakthrough pain. That seemed to do the trick for me almost right away. My family all came by Sunday afternoon and I was able to enjoy them. I still didn't get a good sleep Sun. night, but was doing better and able to move around and get going on therapy again on Monday. "Bless the doctor"!!! On Tuesday am, they agreed that I was able to go home and get by on just the oral medications.

08-04-2006, 04:56 PM

Glad the surgery went well! Sounds like your progressing quite well too! I bet it feels good to be home. Keep us posted on things. You'll find that you can up & down times during the recovery period, don't worry that's normal for everyone.

Best wishes to you and your family!

08-04-2006, 07:59 PM

I'm glad to hear everything went well. How much blood loss did you have? Did you have a blood transfusion at all?


08-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Dear Kkong,

The surgeon didn't tell us about any particular amount of blood loss. I was hooked up to a machine that filters and recirculates your blood during the surgery and then from your back drain for the first couple of days afterwards.

The transfusions were given because the iron count was down to 7.5 and s hould be above 10.


08-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Wow. I love reading other people's stories because it lets me know I am not alone in this. All of our experiences are so similar yet different in their own way - amazing! It sounds like you are off to a fantastic start. I am sending positive vibes and good wishes your way.


08-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I am also a cake decorator (in my spare time, not that I have any). I usually do all the wedding cakes, birthday cakes, anniversary cakes and so forth for my family and friends. I was asked to do the cake for the couple whose wedding we are going to tomorrow, but that is one thing I am not up to quite yet. Can't see myself spending hours creating gum paste flowers for a few months still LOL!! :p

08-06-2006, 01:37 AM
Hi Deb,

It's great to hear that you're doing well!!! You too Brandi!!!