Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back home!

Hi, everyone!
    My son came home yesterday and I'm just so relieved that everything went as well as it did. No complications whatsoever. Honestly, I cannot believe how straight his back is now. I'm not sure what his measurements are I'll find out next week when he has his post op checkup. I'm assuming they will do xrays again. When looking at his chest xrays it looked pretty darn straight definitely a big improvement! His breathing seems to be better now. He still has apnea but he doesn't drop in his O2 saturation like he did before surgery. I'm hoping he will not need the O2 much longer. He hasn't had to use it. He seems to tolerate sitting pretty well. He can sit for 3-4 hours at a time. I actually think he does better sitting than laying in bed.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get through this. This was a difficult decision to make and it appears it was the correct decision to have the surgery. His scoliosis was really affecting his breathing. I'm just glad to have this done and over with I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
    Linda
    Mom to Hunter (10 yrs old), status post posterior spinal fusion T1-sacrum 7/24/06 w/spastic quad CP

blackwidow:

Hello! I'm relieved to hear you are back home and your son is on his way to recovery from the surgery! I was just checking on the older posts since I haven't been on myself for awhile, and then clicked on the new posts and there you were! I wish your son continued success!

Laurie
    Laurie
    mom to Josh age 15, double curves 77T/55L Posterior spinal fusion done at age 13 on July 10, 2006 from T2 - L5 Now 35T/25L

Comment

Blackwidow,

I'm happy for you and your son that surgery was successful and he's doing so well.

Renee

Comment

Congratulations on being home! He'll continue to improve as he continues his recovery. I'm sure you'll see these little progresses for several more weeks. He's still in the very beginnings of recovery. I'm so glad to hear he's doing so well! Keep up the great work!
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Welcome home!! Delighted that everything went so smoothly for you!! Hugs coming through the ether to you!
          Lorrie

Comment

Thanks ladies for the warm wishes! It definitely feels good to be home. We took a short drive down by the lake earlier and my son was full of smiles. Which of course made me smile since I know he is going to be okay. I think it felt good for him to be outside and feel the fresh air. We finally got a break with the unusually hot weather that we have been having lately.
            Linda
            Mom to Hunter (10 yrs old), status post posterior spinal fusion T1-sacrum 7/24/06 w/spastic quad CP

Comment

So glad that you are home! And so thankful that things went so smoothly, considering the issues and concerns for Hunter.

I am sorry it took me so long to write back, and I had planned on sending more e-cards, however my MIL passed away (she was able to stay home with us to the end) last week and her last week with us was emotional and kept us extremely busy.

Keep on going Hunter, and enjoy that straight back and easier breathing!

Heidi
              Heidi (mom to 3 boys, Sean is 9 and has LCDH, SBS, is TPN, O2, and Bipap dependent, has SVC stenosis/stent x4, severe malignant scoliosis fused twice from T1-L2, halo traction for 2 months, severe restrictive lung disease, a CVL and GT, Fundo x2, and is one of my heroes.)

Comment

Working...
              X