PDA

View Full Version : Tethered cord

kylesal
08-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Well I just learned last week that I have teathed spine. I have been experiencing incontinence and frequent urinary tract infections for about 8-9 months now. The neurosurgeoun looked at my MRI and he immedietly said tethered cord and I will most likely have to get surgery. He told me that he was not experienced enough on tethered spine and referred me to a neurosurgeon who he used work with. I had plans to go into the Army National Guard but with incontinence being a sympton that has been put on hold and I am scared that I may not be able to go after all. My question is mainly, is this surgery guaranteed, like will it work and reverse the side effects? I am not experiencing any pain or discomfort just incontinence and urinary tract infections. I really want to go to the army and if this is going to hold me back I will feel useless and ruined. By the way I am a 19 year old male who is in good shape(not sure if that matters or not). I hope I posted this is the right forum and hopefully tethered cord is somthing which is talked about on here.

Carmell
08-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Kylesal,

My son (age 11yrs old) had surgery to release a tethered spinal cord when he was 4 yrs old. His symptoms (occasional changes in bladder habits, occasional leg/foot pain/weakness, etc.) went away after his release surgery. He is doing very well now.

If you have been having incontinence problems for a long time, and your symptoms have increased over time, there is a chance you will have permanent damage to the nerves in that area. There is a great chance the symptoms will not get worse after surgery, and the bonus will be that the symptoms will go away completely.

I suggest you find a PEDIATRIC neurosurgeon who has treated many patients with tethered cord issues. There is a great team of neurosurgeons in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area who treat adults as well as pediatric cases. I don't know where you live.

Also, I know of a great email list for adults and parents of children who have tethered spinal cords. If you'd like to sign up, let me know.

My best,

kylesal
08-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Thank you Carmell for your reply, if anyone else has any information regarding please reply because I am rather nervous about this whole thing and I really dont know what to do.