Anterior/Posterior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anterior/Posterior

I have to have both Anterior and Posterior surgery just wanting to get other people who have had both to tell me how there scars are looking, as im dreading having these scars....
    Also if people acutally don't mind sending me photos that would be great i have an email address if you want to send them lee_rouw@hotmail.com

Also has anyone ever thought about plastic surgery for there scars or can't they do that?

Thanks in advance
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Hi LeeLee...

Do a search here on SCAR. There have been some other discussions, including some where people posted pictures of their scars.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Lee,

Funny I read this post tonight, I had been looking at my scar today and thinking how it's disapearing so much no one will know what I went through! I did not have staples, those leave a worse scar. My Dr. did a type of running stitch that pulled it closed more from the inside then out. I made sure to put MEDERMA scar cream on it religiously 2x a day and I just quit at a bit over 5 weeks post-op. I also made sure to put an SPF 60 right down my scar every time I thought it might be in the sun. I am going to try to get a picture to add to my before/after collection. My Dr. was very concerned how my scar would look and brought it up at one of my appts. He said he is not so vain that if I wanted to bring in a plastic surgeon to close up he wouldn't mind. I asked his office mgr/asst how his scars looked on other patients and she raved how great he was at it. You might ask your Drs. asst. about this. And if the Dr. isn't so good, ask about having another Dr. (Plastic surgeon) close for yours. I checked and scar revision is tricky. Plus, if you had to have it worked on later it would cost more, cosmetic surgery isn't covered. At least you would save on anesthia fees and operating room fees if it was done at the time of your scoliosis surgery. Sorry this was s long. Best wishes.

Comment

As you know, I am only 2 months out. But, my scars look incredible. I have been applying vitamin E oil once daily to my scars and it has done wonders for taking the red out. I never had a big, nasty scab...in fact I never had any scab at all. I guess because the oil kept the skin moist. Also, after you have the surgery, you really feel like you've been through something. I would imagine the feeling is similar to the one war vets get. You know how they run around comparing scars and swapping war stories? I am somewhat proud of my scars because they show the story. They allow people to see where I've been and where I'm at. I know everyone feels differently, but this is my .02 anyway.

Brandi
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Being considerably older than most on this site, at age 57 the least of my concerns is what my scars will look like. I'm more concerned about long-term complications associated with a long fusion requiring bilateral fixation in the pelvis and how my life may be altered.

Linda, thanks for sending the link about what's new in spine surgery. Unfortunately, it does not sound too reassuring for those of us requiring the long fusions to the pelvis. Wonder if they'll ever be able to replace the whole spine like they are with hips and knees.

Chris

Comment

My fusion is long and the only thing I still can't do is bend and reach my feet or below my knees. I use a shoe horn and a dressing stick. Due to phys therapy I feel more felxible each day. it's really not as bad as people make it sound..........you just learn to do things and reach things differently! good luck!
            Jenn
            37 y/o female
            60 degree lumbar
            45 degree thoracic
            1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
            T 5 to S 1
            NYC

Comment

[QUOTE]
              Being considerably older than most on this site, at age 57 the least of my concerns is what my scars will look like. I'm more concerned about long-term complications associated with a long fusion requiring bilateral fixation in the pelvis and how my life may be altered.[ChrisWBS
              I could care less about scars. I am rather proud of them as a matter of fact.

I was 60 when I had my revision almost 4 years ago. I can honestly say, at this point, my life has only been "altered" for the better. I have a long fusion T-4 to sacrum with a pelvic screw. For the better: reduced deformity, even shoulders, even hips(I can actually wear a skirt now), and no pain. I am able to work at a job where I stand all day.

So in my case it was worth it; I never regretted it for a minute despite the long recovery.
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I love my scars and have not put anything on them to make them go away or fade.
                I consider them like a badge of courage. Something to always remind me what I went through and survived.
                36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                Curve post op = 20 degrees
                No pain anymore!!
                Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Working...
                X