Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discogram

Hi All,

Has anyone heard of a discogram? Dr. McNulty ordered this test for me. It sounds like a test that tells the doc where to fuse the spine from. It am wondering if this test hurts. This doc is my 3rd opinion. I want a 4th opinion and I want to go to San Francisco for it. Any suggestions on a good doc out there??? I live in Las Vegas and am willing to travel for my surgery.

Debbie
    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
    T2 to Sacrum
    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Hi Debbie,

I had one. Some people find it painful others, like me, did not. I was pretty freaked out when I found out about it. They like to prepare you for the worst and they sure made it sound bad. You will need to have someone drive you because you are sedated for the procedure. They will be putting dye into your discs to see what shape they are in. The Dr. told me he was going to wake me up slightly to see if I was in pain during the procedure as that helps them to know if pain is from my discs or my scoliosis. I did not remember this at all. I did not have any pain during the discogram I was told. I had some discomfort that night (It felt like I had just had a rough day.) but nothing my 800mg of motrin couldn't help. My discs have some leakage (a C if graded, per my surgeon) but since no pain they were left alone. This is one of the many tests you will need for your Dr. to plan out your surgery. Don't let them scare you like they did me, it really wasn't bad at all.

Comment

Hi Debbie...

In addition to the responses you receive here, do a search (see link above) on DISCOGRAM, as there have been other discussions.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was not sedated all for my discogram. I went in thinking it would be about like my myelogram, which I did fine with. Boy was I wrong. My discogram was very painful which I think was due to my discs being bad. I usually have a very high pain tolerance but this was unlike anything I had ever felt. Hope yours is better.

Comment

Working...
        X