New Here - Question about Anterior surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here - Question about Anterior surgery

Hi, I'm new here. I am 19 years old and recently found out that I will need surgery for my curve. I was diagnosed when I was about 15 and wore a brace untill I stopped growing. Unfortunately, within three years (after the brace was off) my curve has progressed 15 degrees so I currently have a 50 degree curve.

It does not cause me pain or anything (but it has caused a small rib hump) and since the curve will only progress, I need surgery.

My only question is this. My doctor said in my case they would only have to fuse 4 or 5 discs. (from 7-11..I don't remember the exact details). He also said, for my case the easiest way to do this would be to enter through the chest. My worry is that with this method, they have to deflate one of your lungs and unfortunately...I have very sever asthma...so this method kind of worries me. I spoke to my pulmonolagist and he said there is no problem with doing this..but me being the paranod person I am is still worried...do you know if the anterior approach causes any problems with your lungs? (during or afterwords).

I'm still going to see three more doctors to see what they have to say, as this was my first opinion

Hi...

The surgeon would have to deflate one lung during surgery to get to the anterior part of your spine. I'm sure there are some increased risks, but your pulmonologist would definitely be the best source of information on that topic.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Mine will be anterior and posterier surgery in one day. I naturally assumed that my long would have to be deflated from what I read in the scoliosis books. I asked my doctor and was told they would not be deflating the lung.

Comment

Hi Marcia...

If they're only going to access your lower lumbar spine during anterior surgery, it will be below your lungs. In Treacherous' case, having to access T7-T11, I'm fairly certain that the lungs would definitely be in the way.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I see.....yes, I am T-2 to S-1. I am definitely in for a lower surgery from the front and then will be turned over for the long one. Thanks Linda

Comment

Working...
          X