Bone graft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone graft

For those who have already been through the surgery where do they get the bone graft material? Dr. Shelokov's PA told me that they do not use cadaver bone because your own bone fuses quicker. I forgot to ask him tho where he gets it from. And does that require a different surgery (incision) and is it as painful? He told me they would go thru the abdomen, under my right rib and my back. Just wondering if any of those incisions allow for access to graft material.

Linda G.

They usually get it from the back of your pelvis. Sometimes, if you are having a thoracoplasty, they take it from a rib. I'm sure if you ask your surgeon, he will tell you exactly what he plans to do in your case.
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Linda,
      I am having surgery with Dr. Shelokov in October. I was told they would use all bone from cadaver on me because my surgery is already going to be 12-14 hours and it will save time. That bothers me because I read that your own bone is more likely to fuse better. I wish they were using at least part from me.

Comment

Marcia

When I saw Eric last month he told me that they were no longer using cadaver so .you might ask him again. He told me they would use my bone along with a compound that grows bone. I just didn't think as to where and how that surgery would be. He didn't tell me the length of time it might take --just that it would be about 1 1/2 hours on my stomach and same on my side but didn't mention the back. Another thing I forgot to ask. I should be getting a call within the next couple of weeks about the mylogram as all my other tests now are done.

Linda G.

Comment

Mine was taken from my hip(actually iliac crest to be precise)-wich is usually the best place but I had a non union. So I suggest walking a lot and eating well afterwards, it helps the fusion process. I did both but didn't move enough b/c I wasn't given pain meds for more than a month, and so I was in a lot of pain. I know there are no studies that can say what exactly causes non unions for sure but I would say it doesn't hurt to know what could help.
          Last edited by sweetness514; 07-29-2006, 02:09 PM.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

My surgeries are scheduled 9/6 and 9/8. My surgeon said he will be using bone from my hip.
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

Hi...

Bone graft material is not really taken from the hip. It's taken from the iliac crest, which as bbest noted, is the top of the back part of the pelvis. If an anterior approach is used, or if a thoracoplasty is performed, they can also get bone from the ribs that are cut.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Graft for my first surgery was used from my thorocoplasty (ribs) and for my second surgery they used donor bone. I had a different surgeon than you all. I would ask the surgeon where he specifically is planning on taking it from.
                Mandy

Comment

I'm going to ask again. But they told me that because my surgery goes down into the sacrum and I am assuming because I have some osteoporosis, plus the length of my surgery they can't compromise my hip area by using my own bone. I'll ask again, but they seemed pretty clear on that when they were telling me about my surgery.

Comment

Marcia & Linda G,

My fusion goes to the sacrum and they used bone from the illiac crest and also from the rib they removed. The incision to get the bone from the illiac crest was about 4 inches to the right of the spine and the upper right buttock. I haven't had any problems from that incision.
                    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                    Fused T2 to sacrum
                    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Linda G.,

For me, it was a combination of rib, hip and cadaver bone. It is amazing how different each one of our situations are. Through my ant. surgery they removed 5 discs and a rib as orignally planned, but I woke up with an additional incision at the top of my pelvis. They told me they needed some more bone.

Shari

Comment

I am also fused to my sacrum. My surgeon used a combination of iliac crest bone and cadaver bone. Each case is truly different.
                        Brandi
                        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                        L1-S1
                        Dr. William Lauerman
                        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

My son's surgeon used bone from his vertebrae. He was fused to L-4 and I think the bone was taken from the larger vertebrae. The scar is a little larger/thicker in that area but there was no additional incision and it didn't seem to add to the pain of the surgery itself.

Renee

Comment

My surgeon used a rib and took bone from my hip for my graft.

Comment

Originally posted by flowerpower
                              My son's surgeon used bone from his vertebrae. He was fused to L-4 and I think the bone was taken from the larger vertebrae. The scar is a little larger/thicker in that area but there was no additional incision and it didn't seem to add to the pain of the surgery itself.

Renee
                              Hi Renee...

Some surgeons remove the spinous processes and use them for fusion. I don't think there is enough bone to facilitate fusion, however, so I'm thinking that he got bone from elsewhere, or used some donor bone.

--Linda
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                              X