Dancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dancing

Does anyone know how long it is after surgery before you can dance? It is my fovorite past-time and makes me so happy! Will my abilities be impaired due to inflexibility?
    jsully
    Last edited by jsully; 07-26-2006, 08:43 PM.
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Hi Ya Jsully,

I chuckled at your question because it was one that mattered to me as well as "When can I wear heels?" I am 5 months out and still am not to bend or twist so when I catch myself dancing around the house I am sure to not twist my back or bend from side to side. Limited dancing for now but my P.T. thinks at 6 months I will be cleared to do what I want carefully. I am ready to dance!! I feel great!! 6 months post-op before I work back into heels by the way....

Comment

Some of us must be thinking the same, I was going to talk about dancing too.

I notice since my latest surgery that after three months, I started to try to move a bit, and I was very stiff. Now, at 7 months I am better, still some stiffness but I guess it will get better with time. I think we can try after three months, of course not a "so you think you can dance moment" or dance off with someone but just moving to the beat

I'm really curious if any professionnal dancers visit this forum who have been fused at least 10 vertebreas would tell me if they can still dance to some level they did pre surgery. I used to dance a lot before, not professionally anymore but just for my pleasure and noticed that after the surgery, it is harder and I do feel stiff afterwards. I have heard of some say they can dance, but I'm pretty sure some moves are out of the question, like when your spine twists kinda like a snake or many movements who require bending backwards.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I LOVE to dance too and began Salsa lessons before surgery. I have a wedding in Sept. that I'll try to dance at a little. Most likely I'll wait 6-9 months before really getting back into any type of dancing! What a shame
        Jenn
        37 y/o female
        60 degree lumbar
        45 degree thoracic
        1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
        T 5 to S 1
        NYC

Comment

While Gloria Estefan can still perform as a singer, it's quite obvious she's lost her flexibility as a dancer. The last time I saw her on TV in some benefit show, I couldn't help but notice how stiff she appeared. She had spinal fusion surgery when she was injured in a vehicular accident a number of years ago.

Chris

Comment

And Chris, Gloria didn't have many vertebreas fused, from my understanding she broke her back. It really does affect one's flexibility, but it is worse when you have more vertebreas fused.

Any professional dancer has to know this before getting surgery, and that's why I believe has to be in some amount of pain, b/c I know how dancing is their life.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I had to drag this thread back out. I have a wedding to go to tommorrow and am bummed out because I am fairly certain there will be no dancing on my part. I love to dance. I am usually one of the first ones on the floor. But, I guess you can only do what your body will allow. I hope I can at least squeeze a couple of slow dances out anyway.
              Brandi
              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman
              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hey Brandi, I'm just impressed that a couple of months after surgery, you can go to a wedding at all!! I hope I do as well as you when it's my turn (even though I'm a bit older.. ).....

Enjoy the wedding!
                Chris
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thinking back I think I waited until I was out of the cast after 6 months. Heck, I remember having to wear my cast to my sisters wedding five months after the surgery. They made the brides' maids dresses especially so they wouldn't show the cast when I wore mine. My mom sewed them all.
                  I found that I had to take it slowly but because I was doing stretching exercises with the drill team in my senior year I was able to pretty much most regular disco movements. I even remember a time in college doing the Lambada at a hispanic night club with a guy from Spain. Man, I needed a Margarita or two after that dance!

Don't worry you'll get to dance again. Have fun at the wedding and definitely do a few slow numbers just for fun!

Comment

Update!!

I know I have beaten this poor thread into the ground, but I wanted to let you all know how the wedding went yesterday. I tried my best to dance but it wasn't happening. The most I could do was to side step. This is about what I expected. However, I will not concede quite yet. I will give myself a few months and try again. I see no reason why I should be denied one of life's little pleasures.
                    Brandi
                    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                    L1-S1
                    Dr. William Lauerman
                    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X