Feeling "blue" after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling "blue" after surgery

Did anyone else feel "blue" after surgery? I'm one month out today- and over the past week- I'm feeling down in the dumps.... is this normal? I know things are gonna get better and that this is just temporary as the pain is getting better- I just wish I was better already.... any thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Angela
    29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Hi Angela

You're definitely normal... don't you worry! You have a positive outlook, you know deep down that things will improve... you're just impatient for things to improve! So was I... it's hard to be restricted from things you could do so easily and maybe took for granted pre-surgery. Keep your chin up... the worst part is over

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
    Jen
    24/NY
    Harrington rod placement & fusions
    11/2/94
    60T, 35L

Comment

Feeling "blue" is very normal. Surgery affects the chemicals of the brain, which is why you are feeling down. If after a couple of weeks it doesn't go away ask your doc about an anti depressant
      SandyC

Comment

I have been having some serious downs and bouts of depression since this last surgery, and it is getting better but it happened at the one month mark- and it was awful. I have never felt this way . I usually get over my downs, rationalize things and this time it has been different, and I also read other posters dealing with this and surgery can cause this.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

It will get better!

I definately know the feeling. I haven't had scoliosis surgery yet but did have that feeling after both of my children were born. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a anti-depressant ! I WILL start taking them shortly before surgery because I KNOW I will feel depessed . I recommend Zoloft or Paxil. Wish I could have taken Wellbutrin because there is less chance of wieght gain and sexual side effects (not that that matters after surgery) but it made me more irritible !
          Gook Luck! Hope you feel better soon!
          jsully
          36 year young cardiac RN
          old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
          new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
          Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
          Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
          and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

I felt down in the dumps and blue after my surgery also. I think it's normal. If your like me you want everything to get better. To start feeling better soon and it just doesn't happen soon enough. I felt this way for at least a few weeks maybe a month. Then after the pain eased up and I had more energy the feeling just finally went away. Good luck. Mattie

Comment

Yep. The first few weeks out I felt pretty down at times. I would sometimes cry at the drop of a hat. My doctor said it was perfectly normal and that the pain meds can also contribute to the depression. Hang in there. Things do get better, in their own time. You've been through a lot. Today, at 2 months post op I feel great...you will too.

Brandi
              Brandi
              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman
              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Angela, IT WILL GET BETTER!! This is so normal. I actually had a couple of flat out sobbing bouts where I asked my husband to make sure the kids didn't see me!! It will come and go, the feeling of will it ever get better, when will the pain stop, when can I do stuff by myself will pass and become a distant memory. Hang in there you are only 4 weeks out from a surgery more major then heart surgery. (My DR. beat this in to my head!) It is a long recovery but a road back to a life better then it was before surgery. I will never forget when I realised the pain level I had before surgery was more then I was experiencing at the time. Also, when I was able to run errands without looking at my watch to see how much longer I might last before the pain would begin. We will keep your spirits up. Remember we are here for you. Best wishes.

Comment

I was totally prepared to deal with the physical issues of recovery, but the emotional recovery never even crossed my mind. I was so blind-sided by the depressed feelings. I was a very active, out-going, social person before surgery, so the sudden change in my activity levels really saddened me. I'm not a cryer, but I must have cried at least 3-4 times a week in the first 2 months, and most times, I didn't know what set me off. Then, at 4 months post-op when I was starting to feel really good physically and emotionally, I lost my mother (& best friend) to a sudden and unexpected heart attack...talk about having your world come crashing down around you and being kicked while you're down... I'm happy to say that I've gotten through it all and am back to my happy, outgoing self again! Please do not take this as judgement as I truly understand that there are situations where anti-depressants are needed and I know people who use them currently and without them, they're lives are not as fulfilling; however, I'm happy to say that I was able to get through it all without medication. There will be good days and there will be bad days, you just need to stay positive and realize everything that you've accomplished so far. It's tough when you're in those down moments to look ahead and think that you'll be doing the things you loved once again, but you just have to think positively, thinking positively can do AMAZING things for your mind and body. Hang in there girl!

Comment

Im nearly 4 weeks out from a fusion and disc replacement. I actually had a bit of a meltdown on day 4 in the hospital. I said to my nurse I feel like I've got the 4 day baby blues and she replied that is exactly what it was! Five of us had back surgery that day and we were all in the same state. Apparently it makes the women emotional and the men aggressive! Would be nice if it was one of the things to be pre warned about!
                    Since then I've been pretty good emotionally, just the occasionally downer.
                    I was on Effexor before surgery though and will stay on it for the foreseeable future, it's not worth risking going off it till I have my health back!
                    Good luck
                    Cathy

Comment

It's been many years since my surgery, but I still remember the feeling blue part. I cried and felt so alone and didn't even want to share feelings with anyone in my family as I felt they didn't/couldn't understand. (I know a little better now

Hang in there - this too will pass with time
                      Best wishes
                      Always Smilin'

Always Smilin'
                      Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                      pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                      pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                      right thoracic 57
                      lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                      revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                      unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Hi Angela,

There's not a darn thing wrong with what your are feeling right now, you've just been through hell. Just think of how strong you really are!!! You've just survived an extremely difficult surgery.

My emotions were a rollercoaster ride for several months afterwards. In retrospect, the people around me probably felt like they were walking on egg shells.

Don't feel guilty for any reason, you've been through the war and survived the battle. You have the scars to prove it!!! Just don't forget that the loving people around you went through it with you, only in a different way.

It is too easy to feel so disappointed in the recovery time, but no matter how long it takes, it does get better!!!

Shari

Comment

Thank You for all the replies!!!! I feel a little better now- when on Wellbutrin and my doc said I was okay to do more now- light housekeeping, etc. They said that I am able to drive now- small trips only... untill I am ready for more. Can anyone give me any ideas of things to do besides watching TV that would help pass the time so to speak? I think that I have learned that I am a work-a-holic and staying home all day is very depressing to me! Any ideas or what you did would greatly help! Thanks!
                          Angela
                          29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

I rented or bought all the DVDs I wanted to see, read a lot, listened to new music, walked, and really took some time to think about everything and anything. I got my surgeries in the Fall/Winter, and the fact that it's really cold here outside made it easier to just relax and take it one day at a time.
                            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                            X