Sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping

Just curious how does everyone sleep after having surgery? I am a belly sleeper. Will I ever be able to do this again? Did anyone get an adjustable bed? What works for you?
    jsully
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Hi Jsully

While I was in the hospital for a week after my surgery, and for awhile after I returned home (especially until I got the cast removed 3-4 months later), I could only sleep on my back. This was very tough for me because at the time, I was a very picky sleeper, and I always slept on my side. I found that to be too difficult immediately afterward. I wasn't a belly sleeper until just a few years ago (I am 12 years post-surgery), so I'm not sure how that would have been right after surgery, but I can tell you that I am perfectly able to do it now. One thing I do find I can't do it lay on my stomach and have my upper body more elevated... basically because I can't arch my back at all. Good luck!
    Jen
    24/NY
    Harrington rod placement & fusions
    11/2/94
    60T, 35L

Comment

I've always been a side sleeper, but spent most of my time on my back following sugery. Maybe at 6 months post op, I found that I was turning onto my side in my sleep and not having to wake up and make the conscious effort to do it. I decided that my body and mind were ready for me to start sleeping on my side again and began falling asleep in that position and now I stay that way throughout most of the night.

We bought a SleepNumber bed 4 months after my surgery because I had lost 15 lbs (started out at 110) and the innerspring mattress was pushing against my back and causing me to feel the screws and brackets and keeping me awake for a good part of the night. Also, my husband is twice my size and his weight was causing our innerspring mattress to tilt towards him, causing me to tilt as well, this was really uncomfortable. Within a few nights of having the SleepNumber, I started sleeping through the entire night and felt so much better in the morning.

Comment

Thanks Hiedi,
        I was wondering about the sleep # bed. I'm glad to know it also works for someone with scoliosis. I've also considered a Tempurpedic bed. My sister-in-law sells them and can get me a good discount. Anyone have any experience with Tempurpedic or any other beds?
        jsully
        36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Tempurpedic bed

I have had a tempurpedic bed for almost a year now and LOVE it!! I still have pain in the morning when I wake up, but not nearly as much as I used to without the tempurpedic.
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks abhbarry,
            Do you sleep through the night? By the way I sent you a post under Mariya's new and looking for advice.
            jsully
            36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

FYI....we had been considering getting a new bed last year when we received a Consumer Reports that contained an article on how to shop for beds. It gave some great advice which I took with me while shopping:

The article said you should lay on each bed for 15-20 mins to really get a good feel for it. Don't be embarrassed to do this...you spend A LOT of money on a bed and you want to be sure it's going to work for you. Sitting on a bed does not give you a good feel for how it will feel while your sleeping. We tried each bed for the suggested length of time (including hte Tempurpedic) and noticed that a bed that felt good at first, didn't feel so good after 10-15 mins and vice versa. Once we narrowed the decision down to the SleepNumber, we made sure to try it out on a couple of different days when my back was feeling differently (good days and bad) to be sure that it would really work for us.

Comment

I was an insomniac before surgery and it hasn't changed much. I do find that I don't sleep on my belly, or pain wakes me up minutes later if I do, and I have difficulty turning around. I never really slept on my belly before surgery so it's not much of a problem, I just sleep on my back or side. I used to get in a foetal position but have stopped that too, I'm more straight now. That's not a bad thing I guess.
                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I haven't had surgery yet, 5 weeks from today, but I am also an insomniac. When I do sleep it is on my stomach. Hopefully I will sleep better after surgery. I also sleep best on the couch.
                  surgery 9/06
                  Rothman institute

Comment

Used to sleep on my tummy or side. Immediately after surgery I slept only on my back and continued to for the first month. Now I am back on my side. Can't sleep on my tummy.
                    Brandi
                    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                    L1-S1
                    Dr. William Lauerman
                    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

tempurpedic

Yes, I do sleep through the night. I also have a tempurpedic pillow and I take it with me when I travel. I know that the bed doesn't work for everyone, but if you buy it through Brookstone I'm pretty sure they have a good "try and return" policy. The beds are expensive though, but it has really made a difference in my life!!
                      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I tried the tempurpedic pillow. I don't like being trained how to keep my head. I use a pillow filled with some sort of beans but I can fix in however I like and it still supports my head. Only problem is if I lay on one side too long and am still awake my ears start getting sore, ouch.
                        jsully
                        Last edited by jsully; 07-26-2006, 08:45 PM.
                        36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

I am a stomach sleeper and shocked quite a few Drs. and nurses (According to them, people with back pain don't do well on their stomachs!) when I was on my stomach a couple of days after surgery. Once home I noticed more pain when I stayed on my stomach all night. This was solved by placing a pretty flat pilow under my stomach and not using a pillow. (Per my P.T.) I was surprised to read some of you like the tempurpedic mattress. I need a really firm one. In fact my 16 y o son came flying in to my room and belly flopped onto my bed when we first got it. And asked if it was padded concrete.... I still have a bit of a hard time rolling over and wonder how you can on a tempurpedic mattress? I couldn't in the store, before surgery!

Comment

I am a side sleeper. After surgery I had to sleep on my back. I was out of it in the hospital so it didn't bother me. When I got home I slept on my sides.
                            I had to wear a brace 23 hours a day for 6 months. I was able to sleep on my side while wearing it. I can sleep on my belly, back or side. My back does hurt if I sleep on my belly though.

Comment

Working...
                            X