Dimple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimple

Hi: Has anyone ever dealt with Dermal Sinus Tract? And, do I need to be concerned with the dimple on my daughter's derrierre? Probably, I'm just driving myself batty looking a various causes for the scoliosis. I understand it can be associated with a tethered spinal cord. She's had an MRI and the orthopedic surgeon didn't mention anything. But it is kind of coincidental that she's had this dimple since she was a baby. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Megan

Dermal sinus Tract

Has anyone ever dealt with Dermal Sinus Tract? And, do I need to be concerned with the dimple on my daughter's derrierre? Probably, I'm just driving myself batty looking a various causes for the scoliosis. I understand it can be associated with a tethered spinal cord. She's had an MRI and the orthopedic surgeon didn't mention anything. But it is kind of coincidental that she's had this dimple since she was a baby. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Megan
    ...Dermal sinus tract (with involvement of the spinal cord)
    A connection between the spinal canal and the skin of the back that appears as a band of tissue to the outside ..
    ---Quoted from the web site below.

Here is some info, in laymen's terms, about it:

http://www.sbaa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=fs_occulta
    Last edited by Karen Ocker; 07-25-2006, 02:26 PM.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Karen: Thank you for the referral to the website. I think this is something I should definately look into since she has other symptoms. I guess I can check back with the ortho who did the mri to see if he looked a that region of her back. Who would think that a cute dimple on a baby's bottom could potentially be a sign of such a huge problem. Megan

Comment

Hi Megan,

My suggestion is to find a pediatric neuroSURGEON and have them read the actual scan, not just the radiologist's report. My son had a tethered spinal cord caused by a fatty filum. He does not have a sacral dimple, but coincidentally, both my hubby and my oldest have sacral dimples with NO spinal cord abnormalities.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thank you Carmell, we are checking on having the mri re-read by an nuerosurgeon. Megan

Comment

Working...
          X