PDA

View Full Version : Herniated Disc

Wakatie
07-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone! I just went to my GP today and she told me the results of my CT scan: they revealed that I do in fact have a herniated disc at L5/S1 as well as the 55 degree lumbar scoliosis. Does anyone here have/had a similar problem? Does anyone know how this will affect my scoliosis treatment? After seeing this result, my GP managed to move my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon from September 13 to July 27...is that a sign that it's somewhat serious?

Kathryn

bbest
07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
It's not necessarily a sign of a serious problem. It does however indicate that there is an issue worth taking a look at. I also had a herniated disk at L5-S1. I read somewhere that it is common for a herniated disk to be located in the lumbar region of the spine. Probably because the lumbar vertebrae support the most body weight.

LindaRacine
07-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Hi Kathryn...

I don't think I've ever seen any statistics, but I know that disc problems (herniations, tears, ruptures, etc.) are very common in scoliosis because of the uneven load. I think that it's usually these same problems that cause pain, especially in the lower back.

Regards,
Linda

CurvySAT05
07-24-2006, 11:07 PM
I too just found out that I herniated a disc, but mine is at L4-L5. I managed to do mine post fusion though. I know that it is possible, but of course it had to happen to me. lol. Anyways, rather than fusing lower into the lumbar vertebrae, my surgeon is going to try epidural injections onto the nerve root and see if that helps with some of the pain and numbness that I have been experiencing before we do something that can not be reversed.
A herniated disc is not always "serious" but it should be checked out before it gets worse. Good luck with the appt. on the 27th.
Mandy

Shari
07-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi Kathryn,

Don't take the appointment being sooner than expected, as a bad thing!!! You just have a GP that cares, and that's a good thing.

Keep us informed!
Shari

Wakatie
07-25-2006, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the help and support! And yes I definitely think that the sooner appointment is GREAT!

lrmb
07-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi! I would like to follow your experience on this, as I have a bad low disk and scoliosis. Most of the scoli doctors I've seen say that the disk is nothing to do with the scoliosis, and some docs I've seen for disk problems don't want to deal with a scoliosis patient - so at times I've found it difficult to find somebody who will look at everything in one go. I'd love to hear how things go for you. If you prefer you could PM me through the website. All the best!! Laura