scheduled surgery today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scheduled surgery today

This is only my second post on this forum...I've just been reading through everybody else's and seeing what questions of mine had already been answered while awaiting my appointment at the Hughston Clinic in Columbus, GA with Dr. Burkus. I was very impressed with the clinic, the surgeon, and the staff. Dr. Burkus spent a lot of time with my mom and I explaining my curve and the techniques of the surgery.

We went ahead and scheduled surgery for December 14th (as soon after my finals as possible). He was my second opinion and I've already done a lot of thinking and research about the surgery and decided it was the best option for me.

I think on my last post I said it was a lumbar curve but apparently it's a thoracolumbar curve and is 46 degrees. I've progressed from 39 to 46 degrees in 3 years. I also have a very small (11 degree) thoracic curve.

My surgeon will do the anterior approach, remove my 10th rib, and fuse from T11-L3. He said that if he did the posterior approach, he would have to fuse to L4, so the anterior approach will give me more flexibility. I will donate one unit of blood for the surgery and he expects it to take 3-3 1/2 hours. He expects me to be in ICU for two days. The surgery will be on a Thursday and if everything goes well, I should leave on Tuesday. I'll wear a brace during the day for three months. I'll have a month off from school for the holidays and when I come back in the spring, will only be taking one or two classes (I start nursing school in the summer and that's all I have left before I begin the program). He expects me to be ok to be back at school living in my apartment with my roommate after a month.

I'm a lot more confident and optimistic about this surgery after meeting my surgeon today. I've still got some questions I forgot to ask but I'll definitely call him soon with those and will read through this forum as well...it's really helped ease some of my fears just knowing how many people have been through this already and are doing well.

So the waiting begins...4 months, 3 weeks...

-Ashley

Ashley -

It sounds like you made an informed decision. Surgery is tough, but we get through it and are usually better for it. I had surgery in May and do not regret my choice one bit. Before surgery, I frequented this forum. It became a place of not only support, but strength. I would read about the experiences of others and it really helped prepare me for my own procedure. I'm glad you decided to post here and I hope you will stick around and keep us updated.
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
    X