Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growth during/after surgury??

Hi
    I've been doing my own research on growth after surgury.
    My doctor said that if i was to have my surgury i would grow 3-5 inches which I find hard to believe.
    So I was amazed when I heard that some people grew 1-1.5 inches with degrees greater than mine.
    Please help me figure out this problem and post how much you have grown and if you grew after the surgury??
    Last edited by Cloudy; 07-21-2006, 08:47 PM.
    Mák Veronika
    14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
    40T
    54L
    +rotation
    Boston Brace since December 2005
    Location in Florida

I play flute.
    I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

My son gained about 2 inches in height after surgery, and has grown a little more since then.

Renee

Comment

i had a curve of 43 degrees and grew about 1.25 - 1.5 inches.

Comment

My daughter only grew 1/2 inch after surgery and hasn't grown since. I think the amount of growth you have depends on what procedure your doctor does.

Mary Lou
        Last edited by Snoopy; 07-21-2006, 01:55 PM.
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

i had a 53 degree curve and i only grew 1-1.5 inch
          ~Shannon~
          Surgery: May 25th 2005! Woot!
          13 months Post-op
          E-mail me!:
          starchild_81212@yahoo.com or Star_child_81212@msn.com

Comment

I was almost 3 inches taller immediately from surgery. It was cool...when I went in for surgery I was shorter than my mom, then the first time I stood up afterwards I was taller than her...she was looking up to me! I also grew 3 inches the following two years. I was barely 5 foot before, and have been 5'6" since the year or so afterwards. Finally, not the shortest person in my class!
            Unfortunately, since I grew some after the rods were in place, my curve worsened by about 10 degrees after surgery during my growth spurt
            Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
            Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

My daughter Shelby is almost 13 and she gained 2 inches from surgery. She had two curves 44T 64L and was fused from T4 to L4.

Kathy

Comment

Cloudy,

Maybe your doc said you would grow another 3-5 inches total before your body reached skeletal maturity. Not just 3-5 inches due to surgical correction. I'd ask the doc again to make sure he clarifies his comments. Good luck.
                Carmell
                mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hey thanx for replying everyone

Carmell my doctor said that I would grow 3-5 inches during surgury and an mabey before the surgury if I have it.
                  Mák Veronika
                  14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
                  40T
                  54L
                  +rotation
                  Boston Brace since December 2005
                  Location in Florida

I play flute.
                  I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X