1st post since surgery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st post since surgery!

Hello All! This is my first post since my surgery. All in all- everything is going well. I'm still in quite a bit of pain, and had probs getting the pain under control... finally went on the fentanyl patch- and it has been a god send! Thank you to all of you who responded to my hubby's posts while I was gone.. it helped him feel not alone! My curve is now a whopping 18 degrees!! HUGE difference! I'm walking 2-3 times a day.. and trying to increase the distance every other day or so.. still, not able to do much, laying around alot, but I guess that is to be expected. My surgery was very successful- I did however, have a major complication, and was alergic to a medication at day 4, which kept me in ICU much longer than was expected. Now looking back- it was just another hurdle. Thank you to all of you who has helped me thru all this- this forum helped alot with preparing for surgery! I know we are all different- but when does the pain subside? I know, I'm getting anxious- but I would like to think it will start to go away soon.....
    Thanks!
    Angela
    Angela
    29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

I am very happy to hear that your surgery was successful. I wish you the best recovery. I am scheduled for 9/6. I had a little panic attack yesterday because I am six weeks out. I have sooo much to do. I am off from work tommorow and I have a lomg list, buying school supplies for my son, making appointments, etc... Six weeks will go by rather quickly.
    I am glad you are doing well.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Comment

Angela-- so good to hear from you & so happy you are doing well! I hope your pain subsides very soon....It was nice that your husband did a post. I do hope my hubby does the same!
      Dawney--speaking of anxiety attacks-I felt a bit like that early this morning..Sometimes it hits you out of nowhere! I too am trying to get stuff for the kids for school even though my mom & sisters said they could shop for me... I have pre-op next Thurs...& nervous to say the least...Ly
      ps. if you want this surgery cd(meditational), I will have my husband send it to you after my surgery...it really has seemed to help me.....

Comment

Angela,
        So glad to hear your surgery went so well and you got such amazing reduction! Just keep in mind that like the reaction to your medication, there will be hurdles, but if you keep thinking positive, you'll get over them just fine! We're all here for you....keep up the great work and remember to let your body heal at the pace it wants to heal, don't try to push it too hard, but keep moving forward!

YOU GO GIRL!

Comment

Glad to hear your surgery went well. I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery!
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Wow, you'll definitely feel the difference for a while. Has any itching sensations set in yet? Don't worry, it's all part of the GOOD healing process.
            Your hubby was on, that was very nice of him. Keep focused, keep positive, and keep walkin'!!! The exercise will help you build back your strength in both your breathing and your muscles. You Go Girl!!

Comment

Hi Angela,

Congradulations on the 58* reduction in your curve! Horray! You are at 4 weeks post-op and it is just going to get better and better. As to your pain question you are going to have it for a while but it is getting better as the days go by I'm sure. This is a tough time (I remember my 4 week anniv.) and you are going to begin to over do it as you feel better. (I sure did!) I think of my pain as recovery. Some days are still uncomfortable, especially after P.T, but in a different way. (I am 5 mos. out.) I keep on remembering how the pain was and my limitations before surgery. My Dr. did tell me to expect to need some pain meds untill 6 mos. and I do need at least one or two still, per day. I feel great and am happy I have it behind me. The pain, I know, you want to be done with. Especially as a Mom, I wanted to focus on the kids not my back anymore. Trust me it is gradual as most have posted on here, the recovery and pain relief. Keep positive thoughts this pain will end and be a memory eventually. I wish you all the best, and much needed patience! I really learned the meaning of that word through all this!

Comment

Thank you! I am feeling better day by day. I just get frustrated, sometimes it feels like I've really turned the corner and that the pain is getting better- and then I have a bad day. Today was a good day! I walked almost 2 miles today! My norm is about 1 /34 miles. The walking is wonderful on my back- I actually look forward to the walking!! Thanks to everyone for the kind words!
                Angela
                29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

WOW Angela! You're back to walking almost 2 miles!!!! That's incredible...

I know how frustrating the bad days can be, but just keep thinking of how far you've come so far when those frustrating and upsetting moments hit. It really does help to be able to see that you're making strides.

Comment

Working...
                  X