Lesson Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesson Learned

I've had my brace since May of 8th grade and now I'm in tenth, so almost 2 years. I had to wear it 23 hours a day until last November, cause I'm 5'10" and still growing! Last November when I went for my every-4-month checkup, my orthopedist said that I could take my brace off for school and put it on after school! I was soooo happy and I told myself that every day I would come right home and put on my brace, and that I would never be one of those people who doesn't wear it.

But, that didn't happen. It lasted for a few days, and then I started to put it on later and later. Eventually, even though I dragged my brace to school to put on before band (I had rehersals some days till 8), I never put it on until 10:00 when I went to bed. I knew that I would be sorry if I had to go back to wearing it 23 hours a day, but I just couldn't make myself wear it. Some nights I even hid it under my bed so that my parents wouldn't see it and slept VERY comfortably I must say.

So today I went back for another check-up, and I was very nervous. While I was waiting in the chairs in the hallway, I saw them put my x-rays up on the light up board thingy, and my back looked REALLY curvy... so I started to get nervous. But when I went in with the doctor, he told me that I can cut back to 8, 10, or 12 hours a day, and that can include at night! So I am soooo excited because I don't have to live with the guilt I felt when I didn't wear it! So when I go back in July, doc said to not wear it the night before and dont wear it for the x-rays. That is different because I usually wear it for the x-rays! So I'm hoping that when July comes around and it's 100 degrees out I won't have to be sleeping in a hunk of plastic any more!

So to everyone, even though I started slacking the past few months, I wore my brace dedicatedly (is that a word??) for 23 hours a day for the first year and a half and it really did pay off. I hope everyone else is doing ok!

i have the same story
    Lauren and her brace brenda

Comment

Working...
    X