• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research study seeking volunteers

Research study seeking volunteers

Understanding Scoliosis, Back Pain, and
    Healthy Backs: A Web Survey

“Oh, my aching back!” Does that sound like you or someone you know? Or are you someone who does not experience frequent aches and pains?

Adult participants are now being recruited for a research study on spine conditions, back pain, and healthy backs, being conducted at Wayne State University and Eastern Michigan University. The researchers hope to better understand what it’s like to have a back condition and how people cope with this type of problem.
    Persons aged 18 years or more who either have or have not experienced a spine-related condition or back pain are encouraged to participate by completing an on-line questionnaire which will take no more than 40 minutes to complete. The questions will be about current physical health and back pain, activity level, body image, personal and family background, emotional well-being, and quality of life.
    Although participants will not be paid for participation, the information provided will be used to help develop treatments for others who may be experiencing chronic spine conditions. To find out more about the study, please click here http://www.emich.edu/psychology/bmed/
    If you wish to complete the survey, please click here http://survey.emich.edu/bmed/backhealth_scoli.htm

For more information, contact: Dr. Michael Mendelow (Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201; 248-737-1970; mmendelo@med.wayne.edu); Dr. Flora Hoodin (EMU, Dept. of Psychology, 537MJ, Ypsilanti, MI 48197; 734-487-0123; fhoodin@emich.edu), or Dr. Michelle Byrd (EMU, Dept. of Psychology, 537MJ, Ypsilanti, MI 48197; 734-487-4919; mbyrd@emich.edu).

I would volunteer to fill out the form, but I can't get it to down load
    SandyC

Comment

Hi...

All of the links lead to the Information Page. Perhaps it's best just to call or email.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

information sheet

The information sheet is a form of informed consent which is required for research. If you click on the the next button on the bottom of the page, you are agreeing to participate and will be directed to the survey. Hope this helps.

Comment

Got it. It appears that it doesn't work on a Mac with Mozilla browser. I'll try another browser to see if that works. Thanks.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi...

It's working with Safari on the Mac.

Hope you don't mind a few comments...

On the question: "Which one of the following best describes your medication use for your back?" I don't fit into any of the categories, as I take NSAIDs daily, and narcotics occasionally.

On the subject of Walking, I can walk on the treadmill without pain for any distance, but have a lot of pain when strolling (shopping, etc.) I hear others say the same thing.

Regards,
            Linda

P.S. Hi Mike :-)

Comment

Thank you

Thank you very much for your helpful hints and comments to the questions. We truly appreciate them and hope they help others.
              Tere

Comment

Just moving this thread back to the top.

Comment

Have you taken this survey?

I just took this survey and was amazed. Anyone else?
                  Scoliosis S Curve, Spondyliothesis
                  Wore Milwaukee Brace for 4 years, between the ages of 12-16 in the 70's

Comment

Thanks very much Winnie.

I'd like to stress to others that they're looking for respondents who have scoliosis as well as those who DON'T HAVE SCOLIOSIS. It honestly doesn't take that long and could be really helpful to future scoliosis patients.

-Linda

Comment

Linda,

I did the survey and you're right, it really doesn't take that long. It felt strange though answering questions about MY back instead of my daughter's.

Mary Lou
                      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Research Study on Scoliosis

I did the survey but felt there was not enough ability to describe other personal health issues related to my scoliosis. Some of the social/economic questions I found irrelevant to scolosis back pain. But hope my particiaption helps.

Comment

Working...
                        X