Understanding your x-ray report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding your x-ray report

OK, I need help here, because finally Kaiser mailed me my x-ray report. The first part I understand.."right thoracic curve of approx. 50 degrees, left lumbar 60 degrees with a plus 4 rotation in the lumbar curve". But this part, if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it! After that last part ending in lumbar curve, it says "....lumbar curve, which has extensive degenerative changes widening the lateral aspect of the intervertebral disc spaces narrowing medially...." Is that stenosis, or more!?? "widening and narrowing" in the same sentence? If anyone knows about this or knows of a good book or website that teaches you this in detail, I'd appreciate it! Next, I'll be trying to figure out my MRI report. Help!
    Berta in Hawaii

Hi Berta...

I think it's difficult to DX stenosis from an xray, so you may have that, but it's not mentioned in the report. I believe that the sentence about your discs is simply describing the wedging of the discs in your lower curve. You can see a picture of what that looks like here:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/AlternativesDontWork.htm

Radiologists have a language all their own. ;-)

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Berta -

Radiologists are really good at confusing the heck out of you. Discuss the findings with your doctor. He/she could probably do a better job of explaining things to you. I had a 58* lumbar curve and stenosis. I can tell you while each case is unique, my stenosis was not diagnosed until I had a MRI which was able to show it in detail.

Best of luck.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

lateral is away from the midline and medial is towards the midline. intervertebral is just what it sounds like, inbetween the vertebrae. So...convex (lateral) side of the curve inbetween the vertebrae has widening of the space and the concave (medial or towards the middle) has some narrowing. that would be my best guess. but then again it is radiology jargon so you would have to ask them to find out for sure.

Comment

Working...
        X