Female question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female question

I am scheduled for a/p surgery on July 20th, in Royal Oak MI, and should have had my period by now. No, I am not pregnant.... Does anyone know if it will delay my surgery if I say, start just before the 20th?

This is a great site and thanks to all who have posted, I have found out alot of useful information here!

Hi Babbs...

I don't think so. Surgery often brings on one's period, even when it's not due.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Well good luck on your surgery! Mine is scheduled for July 27th. I had the same question you have, and my period is due to start around the time of my surgery. I've heard and read everywhere though, that whether you're due or not it, more than likely, will start while you're in the hospital anyway! I wouldn't worry about it (you have other more important issues at hand right now!) and I'm sure the hospital will be well-prepared for it. You just concentrate on recuperating! Hope all goes well and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Elisha
      Abilene, TX
      Elisha
      http://360.yahoo.com/elishadunaway
      Scoliosis diagnosed at 14, curve was 22 degrees, wore Boston brace for a couple years.
      Left lumbar curve has now progressed at age 33 to approx. 50 degrees and surgery is scheduled with Dr. Alexis Shelokov at Baylor Hospital in Plano, TX for July 27, 2006.
      pre-op curve: 50 degrees
      post-op curve:15 degrees!!

Will be praying that the Great Physician will guide all of our doctors' hands!

Comment

All t hese posts make me glad I'm post menopausal!! .....one less thing to worry about when they slice and dice me next year....
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I also started my period in the hospital and I was not due at the time. Surgery, and the trauma it causes the body, brings it on. I'll tell you what, nothing works for cramps quite like morphine!
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yep, I started the hospital too, even though I wasn't due. BTW - my surgery was also at Beaumont RO, and they only had maternity pads. So, to be prepared, I would pack some "period panties" and bring your own feminine supplies. Good luck to you!
            Meg is Spinewhine
            31 years old with thoracic curve
            Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
            Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
            http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine will probably start, also

Hi Elishadunaway and Babbs917,

My surgery is 7/24 in Grand Rapids, MI and my cycle was last week, but it sounds like it will start up again, so I guess we'd better be prepared.

Good luck to both of you--it sounds like we'll both be back on the board reporting how it went in about a month or so.

Deb

Comment

That's strange that my period didn't start when I had my first surgery and actually, delayed it a few months. The doctors told me that surgery could bring irregular cycles.

It did start after a few days that I had this last surgery in December, but I was walking by then and took care of it, however annoying that was.
                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Mine too started when i was in the hospital. Actually when i had my very first surgery is when i started my very first period. Really sucked but that was the least of my worries. All of my other surgeries i have been on birth control so that has kept them from starting in the hospital. So glad!
                  Hopefully i dont have any problems for my surgery in Aug. Hopefully no unexpected periods! That would be the last thing i need!
                  Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
                  2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
                  March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
                  August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
                  August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

Surgeon in Royal Oak

Babbs and Spinewhine if you don't mind me asking who was your surgeon? I too had my surgery at Beaumont Royal Oak with Dr. Fischgrund my spine surgeon and Dr. Courtney as my general surgeon. I had it done about a month ago on June 5th. And on the other note, I wasn't due but started the 2nd or 3rd day in the hospital. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Stephanie
                    Stephanie
                    T11 to L3
                    1 rib removed
                    June 5, 2006

Comment

Hi everyone. My period was due about a week before my surgery but didn't come at all and still hasn't. Not that I'm complaining, but it does make me worry about something else now being why would i not get them at all and most other people get them right after surgery, due or not. However, I have lost a lot of weight and was very anxious before the surgery which could be why they havn't shown up yet.
                      Katie

Comment

Hi Katie,

Don't worry, I thought the same thing. I sent my husband out to get pads the day I got home from the hospital. All I had was tampons, and with my brace I couldn't reach that area. I didn't have a period for the entire time I was in that brace.

Shari

Comment

I think I mentioned it earlier that I didn't get my period for two months after surgery, and the doc told me it was normal- irregular periods are to be expected.
                          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I guess for once I can be thankful that I am so old and dealing with scoliosis surgery. I just found out something good about menopause!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X