questions about after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about after surgery

Hey I am 15 years old and might have surgery this summer. I have an S curve n it was 50 degrees in december(might be worse now...i have an appointment soon) I am in marching band and i am worried that i will have to miss this season if i get the surgery...i want 2 get it in the summer bcuz i definately dont want to miss school....i would like to know if walking and standing for long periods of time is an issue 6 weeks or so after the surgery. i play clarinet so the weight thing shouldn't be an issue
    *When life closes a door ~ it opens a window...so jump*

It depends on how long you'll be walking for and how fast! I had surgery 6 weeks ago for a single upper curve at 48 degrees. I returned to school two weeks ago. Standing is okay, but you'll get some lower back strain if you go too long. Walking is also fine for me, endurance is the bigger issue. After any surgery your endurance is low. I get winded just walking from class to class, even though I take the elevator.

Do you have a upper or lower curve? Walking and standing is going to be a much bigger problem if you have a lower or double curve. If its a single upper, I think band will be fine, just pace yourself and remember that you don't have to do anything you don't feel up for.

GOOD LUCK!
    Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
    L2 to T4
    Braced for 4 years
    Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

I'm not sure whether i have an upper or lower curve....i have one main curve but the doctor says my body has adapted (you cant really tell that i have scoliosis) 2 it so there r actually 1 or 2 smaller curves as a result of it. thanx 4 the reply
      *When life closes a door ~ it opens a window...so jump*

Comment

Working...
      X