Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 month post-op visit

HI
    I went for my two month post op check up yesterday. Everything looks great and most of my restrictions were lifted!
    I start outpatient PT Thursday and will head back to the gym after that. Although driving is uncomfortable, I feel like I have my freedom back!
    I can't say enough about Dr. Andrew Casden and his team at Beth Israel Spine Institute in NYC. They continue to be so caring and personable as if I'm their only patient. For anyone in their first few weeks after surgery...........hang in there! There is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Last edited by summer; 07-13-2006, 05:04 PM.
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

That's fabulous, Jenn!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

what restrictions were lifted? just curious
      ~Wanda~
      40TL curve pre op
      Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
      San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
      June 7, 2006
      post op curve: 16

Comment

Yes, I would like to know that also! And how soon did you return to work and/or school after surgery?

Kathryn

Comment

Restrictions lifted???

O.K. I don't get it Jen. Your Dr. had you on P.T. at 1 month post-op and at 2 months your restrictions are lifted?? I don't think anyone on here has had that time frame for P.T. let alone restrictions being lifted. Did you ask your Dr. about your P.T? I remember you being concerned you might be starting too early. I know you are young and I expected you to heal fast but I am concerned he is cutting you loose too soon. You do know the reason we have restrictions is to not disturb the fusion process.... which takes a full year. I am shocked to say the least and worried for you. Sure it is great to get back to normal activity but at what cost? I think you need to ask about this. Remember I am Ms. Positive attitude. However, this makes no sence to me. I would love to know what Linda Racine thinks of this. I did ask my Dr. about you doing P.T. at 1 month and he thought I was kidding. He couldn't believe it. Keep us posted will ya?

Comment

I'm due for surgery in 2 weeks, and my understanding is that the bending, twisting, and not lifting over 5 lb. restrictions last the first 6 months! The only restriction that may be lifted at 2 months is the driving if you are off narcotics.

Deb

Comment

Misunderstanding

Whoa.....I still can't bend or lift more than ten lbs, but am being taught how to bend and lift correctly at PT. The restrictions that I'm now allowed to do is go in the pool, take a bath, drive and carefully go back to the gym. I'm a teacher, so I won't be returning to work full time until September. I'm feeling great and will "listen to my body" as needed.

The Spine Institute is all for getting you back to normal as soon as possible. They believe and so do I that the more dependent you become on items or others the slower your recovery will be. So, I didn't depend on a hospital bed, cane, etc.........as soon as I could I got rid of my raised toilet seat and shower chair. Just a reminder that everyone heals differently and I hope to continue to make progress and come a little further each day. I can't wait to be able to reach and shave the bottom of my legs or tie my shoes still.
              Jenn
              37 y/o female
              60 degree lumbar
              45 degree thoracic
              1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
              T 5 to S 1
              NYC

Comment

Congratulations on your progress!

What a wonderful attitude you have and it sounds like you're making remarkable progress. You're an inspiration to the rest of us who are waiting to go through it.
                Thanks!
                CSC
                Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
                S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

wow-Jenn(Summer),
                  I really hope I recover from all of this as good as you!!!!! you're doing so well! even though I'm 46, I'm in good physical shape & hope to come back at a good pace...............Ly

Comment

Shaving trick

Whew, O.K. Jenn that makes more sence then "restrictions lifted" sounded. I have a trick for you to shave your legs. If you can squat down like you are reaching to pick up something off the floor you can reach the lower part of your leg easily. The back of your knee is reachable if you straighten out one leg slightly and the hand on the same side is used on the floor to balance. Kinda like playing twister! Can't help you on the shoe tying. I bought Schetchers (Very cute) that have hidden elastic laces. Keep up the great recovery.

Comment

Congratulations! That's great. Hopefully we'll all get there...

-Salome

Comment

Summer,
                        Using heavy tape attach a razor to the handle end of a long wooden spoon. You can then apply shaving cream with the back of the handle to your leg and then turn and shave.
                        SandyC

Comment

Glad to hear your recovery is going well
                          Dawn
                          surgery 9/06
                          Rothman institute

Comment

Hi Jenn;

I always smile when I see how well you're doing. Keep it up. And the razor on the end of a spoon worked for me.

Shari

Comment

Hi Jenn

Im new to this forum and its great to hear that you are doing well. I've been following your posts for a while now and i see that you r surgeon is Dr. Casden w/ Beth Isreal. I've seen Dr. Neuwirth who is with the same group at the Spine Institute. I've seen him twice and my next step is to schedule surgery.I felt very comfortable with Dr. N but I am still a bit scared.

Did you get to meet the team of drs. before your surgery?
                              How long was your stay in Beth Isreal?

Thanks
                              Maria

Comment

Working...
                              X