PDA

View Full Version : Possible surgery

Chelsea
03-16-2004, 11:59 PM
Hi! I'm currently 14 years old and in the 9th grade. I have known that i have had scoliosis since a scoliosis screening at school in the 5th grade. My degree of curve was only about 7 or 8 then though. As i grew, my curve got alot worse, jumping from a 10 degree to a 25 degree curve in less than 3 months. I was put in a brace but the curve continued to progress. The last time that i had xrays my curve was at a 35 degree. But i have been trying Chriopractic care and i got my xrays back from them...even though the chriopractor doesn't measure in degrees it is VERY obvious that my back has gotten much worse in the 6 months since i have seen my Orthopedic doctor. I will be visiting my doctor at the Childrens hospital in Little Rock this Friday. We are pretty sure that surgery will be that answer. I am very active and absolutly love basketball. Can anyone tell me how long i will be out of basketball or have any advice that they can share?

*also...i have found iscoliosis.com to be very helpful in the passed!

dapsbounce8
03-18-2004, 12:30 AM
Whoa, calm down there! 35 degrees is WAY too low for surgery. And if you doctor is recommending it heres crazy. You will be out of contact sports (aka basketball) for at least a year. Wait it out - don't rush in to having surgery when its not necessary.