Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think I need my surgury?

Hi
    Well I've been reading about when teens should have there surgury.
    Since I am 55* and 40* which are both pushing the limit for surgury.
    My doctor saidthat I will probably be done growing by December 2006.
    But I have not grown in hight since about November 2005.
    I want the surgury but I'm also scared of the things that could go wrong,
    and that i would recover the right way and stuff.
    So if you have any helping words please write them,
    Because I'm a nervouse, crazy reck
    Veronika
    Last edited by Cloudy; 11-24-2006, 08:00 PM.
    Mák Veronika
    14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
    40T
    54L
    +rotation
    Boston Brace since December 2005
    Location in Florida

I play flute.
    I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Look, having surgery is up to you. I'll probably have surgery in october of this year and quite frankly, i'm in no way worried . My curvature measures 55* and i'll be 14 also in october. I've been doing a lot of research and my opinion is, regardless of the various complications, the outcome i believe is worthwhile. I've tried bracing, it has'nt been a success, so the 'best' option for me is to have surgery. I hope you'll make the same decision seeing that your curvature has a 70%(or something more than that) rate of increasing . Look at the positive side. Hope I helped.

Good luck kid!
    ~Debra~
    55*Thoracic curve-progressing, compensatory lumbar

Comment

Hi,
      My daughter Shelby is also 12 1/2 she will be 13 in October. Her curves were 44T and 64L. She was starting to have pain on a daily basis and was even having some trouble breathing as her bigger curve was pressing on her lung. She had surgery three weeks ago and is doing very well. I am not sure she is at the point where she would say she would do it all again but I think she is glad to have it overwith. Her surgeon wanted to wait another year as she also had some more growing to do but it just became medically necessary to do it now. She gained 2 inches in height on the surgery table. I know it is a very scary thing to think about but I think because she is young she is recovery incredibly fast. She hasn't felt up to sitting at the computer yet but when she does I will have her send you a post. We had all the confidence in her surgeon, I think that is very important. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask or send a private message. We will be glad to help in any way we can as we feel like we were helped so much by all the nice people on this forum.

Kathy
      Daughter Shelby 12 1/2
      Curves 44T 64L Corrected to 5T 10L
      Posterior Fusion T4 to L4
      June 19, 2006

Comment

Hey,
        One question would be, do you feel comfortable living the rest of your life with your back the way it is, or is it painful and hard to live with? Before my surgery I had a rib hump on my right side which made it hard to get comfortable in some chairs; for that reason and others, I believe surgery was worth it. If you have a good surgeon who does scoliosis surgery regularly, you should be fine!

Jessica - 16 years old
        Spinal fusion surgery with thoracoplasty July 12, 2006 at Johns Hopkins with Dr Sponseller
        50T and 36L reduced to 5T and 10L

Comment

Working...
        X