Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexibility-Thoracic fusion??

Hi!
    I just wanted to know if anyone had a thoracic only fusion,how much flexibility did you loose. You know, what can't you do anymore? Does it feel any different than being in a brace? Also, do you feel pain while walking? What kind of rods were placed in your back? Stainless or titanium?
    ~Debra~
    55*Thoracic curve-progressing, compensatory lumbar

My 14 y.o. daughter is fused from T3-L2 and she has titanium rods. Jamie is 19 months post-op and doesn't have any pain, whether walking, riding our 4-wheeler, riding roller coaster, etc. She does tend to get stiff if she sits at the computer or in front of the TV for hours at a time. Jamie cannot do sit-ups, but does pretty much whatever she wants to do.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Thank you so much. That really helped a lot!!!
      ~Debra~

Comment

i had a 53* thoracic curve it was pretty high up too...i'm 13 months post op and i have no pain walking i have titanium. the only flexibility i lost was i used to be able to touch my toes and now i'm like and inch away other than that i do whatever i want
        ~Shannon~
        Surgery: May 25th 2005! Woot!
        13 months Post-op
        E-mail me!:
        starchild_81212@yahoo.com or Star_child_81212@msn.com

Comment

Hey starchild!

Just wanted to know if you had thoracoplasty performed during your surgery. If you did or didn't, what was the outcome ? Thanks for replying.
          ~Debra~

Comment

Flexibility with a long fusion

This is my first post, and I have many questions. A spinal surgeon in Tennessee has recommended surgery when I saw him in April. All the surgeons I had seen in Charleston (where I live) had not recommended surgery or said it was impossible because the scoliosis was where the stenosis was. Finally a doctor is really focusing on scoliosis. Turns out the curve has more than doubled in 3 years (to 65 degrees). No wonder I am in so much pain!

I am seeing Dr Lenke July 26 for a second opinion. He is supposed to be one of the best. The doctor in April recommended a very long fusion--mid-thoracic to S-1. My burning question is how stiff will I be? What will I be able to do? It means a very long surgery, and I am 68. I am trying to balance the quality of my life now--not so great and getting worse--with a metal back. Have other people had such long fusions?

Comment

You say you're 68. Well i think you should check surgical(First-time) at the adult forum. This is kinda reserved for "adolescent and teen patients". However, i think you may really loose most of your flexibility. Good luck!!
              Last edited by D-angel; 07-12-2006, 02:41 PM.
              ~Debra~

Comment

nope i didnt sorry i didnt need one
                ~Shannon~
                Surgery: May 25th 2005! Woot!
                13 months Post-op
                E-mail me!:
                starchild_81212@yahoo.com or Star_child_81212@msn.com

Comment

Working...
                X