Bathing Suits after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathing Suits after surgery

Does anyone know where you can find a nice bathing suit that actually covers your whole back? I have been looking for a good bathing suit for my mother for weeks now and I can't find anything that covers the back. Her sergeon wants her to start to swim, but she needs to cover her entire scar. I am assuming that some of you have had the same problem and may have some good ideas. Thanks

My daughter is fused from T3-L2, so her scar is very long. We bought her a Speedo one piece swim suit and it was perfect! The Speedos usually have a piece of material that runs straight down the middle of your back and it is wide enough that you don't have to worry about it moving or not covering the scar. We usually buy our Speedo suits at Dick's Sporting Goods, but I also know for kids at least, that Boscov's carries Speedos. Good news is, they should all be on sale right now!

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Levi,

Check out Landsend.com. Your mother sure is fortunate to have such a caring daughter like you.

Chris

Comment

I've always bought high back BLACK bathing suits, just to help camoflauge my curvature. You can find them in many catalogs such as J.Crew, etc. It's just the basic tank suit that comes in many colors and differnent neck and strap styles. Just look for a high back one. Also, many department stores have them if you look for their missy styles, especially in the black sections!
        Berta in Hawaii

Comment

I just settled for a Tankini because I couldn't find a one piece that covered my scar either. It's a separate tank top and bottom
          Good luck
          Jenn
          37 y/o female
          60 degree lumbar
          45 degree thoracic
          1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
          T 5 to S 1
          NYC

Comment

Leviwood,

Why does she need to cover the entire scar? Is it to protect it from harm, or just to conceal it cosmetically?

Deb

Comment

When I had open heart surgery, I was told to cover my scar to protect it from the sun so that it would fade nicer, and it did. Now I don't care that it is visible, but still use sunscreen on it. It's now thin and white. I imagine the same would be for the back scar.
              Berta in Hawaii

Comment

We were told to protect my daughter's scar from the sun for the first year so that it would fade. It was easier on both of us if she wore a one piece because you know teenagers don't want mom stopping them every 1/2 hour or so to reapply sunscreen. Now 19 months post-op, I'm glad we did because it is a very fine white line and although you can still see her scar, she wears a bikini and tends to be proud of her scar.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I always wear an open back one piece suit, b/c I don't like anything touching my scar, and feel more free and don't have annoying pain(or humidity setting in when the suit is wet) from the material that way. I went to indoor pools for the first six months after surgery(it wasn't hot enough outside anyways), and then put some sunblock for outside, but I didn't spend all day in the sun so I understand wanting to cover the scar.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Try a triathlon suit, or top. They are made for swimming, biking, and running, but a lot of times, I just swim in mine. Both of mine cover my entire scar (neck to waist line) and a comfortable to swim in. It is similar to a tankini, but I think it has more support and may cover more. You can get them with bikini bottoms or bike short style. Many bicycle shops carry them, as well as other sports stores.
                    Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
                    Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Hi All,

As a Calif. girl I am by or in a pool or out in the sun a lot so, what I did was buy an SPF 60. Waterproof sport stick. I dip a Q-tip in to the liquid and apply it down my scar. (It comes with a sponge applicatior that is about 1" wide, I popped it off to get to the liquid with a Q-tip since that would draw a thinner line.) It has worked FABULOUSLY! My Scar is very light and staying that way. It is made by "Ocean potion". I bought it at Wal-mart. I wear my bikini and show my scar with pride! I bought one for my friend who shattered T-4 and had surgery 1 week after me. He hasn't used it and his scar is DARK! (He is a tanner.) So we do need to keep our scars out of the sun.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. As many have you have mentioned, my mother's sergoen did tell her to make sure that the scar is covered when she goes in the sun if she wants it to fade nicely. Being that the scar starts almost at the top of her neck, this is not easy to do, but I will check out your suggestions. Thanks again!

Comment

I got the o.k. to start swimming at my 6 week post-op check up. I too have been concerned about finding a swimsuit which covers my scar (it runs from just below my shoulder blades to my bum). I am not concerned about concealing it for cosmetic reasons. I just don't want the scar to become darkened by the sun. I completely forgot about tankinis as an option.
                          Last edited by bbest; 07-17-2006, 03:35 PM.
                          Brandi
                          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                          L1-S1
                          Dr. William Lauerman
                          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Brandi,

If your fusion begins at L1, why are you incised from just below the shoulder blades? As long as you did not require any fusion of your thoracic spine, why the long incision?

Chris

Comment

I was also very surprised after surgery to see how long my incision was. I asked Dr. Lauerman if something went wrong during surgery or if he realized I needed a longer fusion once he got in there. He said everything went fine and that he had anticipated making an incision that long. He said with the laminectomy and A/P fusion, it's better to make a longer incision and have the room to do what you need to do rather than have to widen the incision once you get in there. The incision in my back is about 15 inches long. The one on my hip from the anterior procedure is about 9 inches long.
                              Brandi
                              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                              L1-S1
                              Dr. William Lauerman
                              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X