Rib hump after surgery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib hump after surgery??

I'm about to have surgery, and i need some advice. Even experiences would be very helpful. Thanks! And i kinda want to know if the rib hump goes away after surgery too.
    ~Debra~
    55*Thoracic curve-progressing, compensatory lumbar

Hi,
    My daughter Shelby had surgery three weeks ago tomorrow. She had a pretty severe rib hump, her curves were 44T 64L. Besides her spine being curved her rib cage was very twisted. I was amazed but she no longer has a rib hump at all. Her back is completely straight and flat. Her right hip used to stick out and it doesn't stick out at all either. Shelby is doing very well and feeling better every day. Good luck with your surgery.

Kathy
    Daughter Shelby 12 1/2
    Curves 44T 64L Corrected to 5T 10L
    Posterior Fusion T4 to L4
    June 19, 2006

Comment

My daughter also 14 had her spinal fusion with thoracoplasty 3 months ago. Her curve was 60T with a compensating lumbar curve. Her surgeon suggested the thoracoplasty since her rib cage had rotated. Her curve is now 12T and her rib hump is gone. Her back looks so good and she feels great.
      Good luck to you.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you guys! I feel a lot less worried. Thanks so much!!!
        ~Debra~

Comment

To scolioparent

Did your daughter have cramps or soreness in her left hip? Cause i do, i'm wondering if it's normal, so i thought i'd ask you since our scoliosis is/was similar.
          ~Debra~

Comment

My daughter did not have pain in her hip. She had a lot a pain in her thoracic area of her back before surgery. She did about 6 weeks of PT before and it helped out. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll will be glad to answer them.

Marilyn

Comment

Hi,
              The rib hump only goes away if you have a thoracoplasty. My son still has a rib hump after surgery. His surgeon felt it was too risky to perform the thoracoplasty because of his pulmonary problems since they remove some of your ribs.
              Linda
              Mom to Hunter (10 yrs old), status post posterior spinal fusion T1-sacrum 7/24/06 w/spastic quad CP

Comment

Hi,

My son had scoliosis surgery done almost 17 months ago. His major curve was also in the thoracic spine. Before surgery, he had a very noticeable rib hump. Now, months later, what little rib hump he has left, is not very noticeable. He did not have any ribs removed to help the appearance of his hump, and he looks wonderful.
                LeaEvelyn

Comment

the doctor I saw today told me that after surgery (if I get posterior), my rib hump would still be there, but if I get anterior (which I don't want to) most of the hump would disapear since they have to remove your ribs.

Comment

Working...
                  X